cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Got message trying to log in to email 'too many login failures, try again in 10 mins'

Hi BT,

This morning when first logging into BT Mail I got a failure message to the effect that there had been too many login failures on my account try again in 10 minutes.

Since this was on my FIRST login in attempt it could not have been me that caused the login failures.

Questions for BT:-

1. Is someone trying to hack my email account?

2. How many times does it have to fail before causing this message?

3. Are you able to detect (IP Address?) where these failures are coming from?

4. If you are able to detect there are too many login fails how about displaying the number of login fails?

Looking fwd to your reply.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Got message trying to log in to email 'too many login failures, try again in 10 mins'

I don't have an answer for this and I don't use webmail that often but I just tried to log on to BTMail and I got the "to many log on failures try again in 10 mins" I immediately retried, ignoring the 10mins, and logged on without problem.

Either I tried at 9 min 55 secs of the waring having been activated on the system or it seems there may be yet another "glitch" with BTMail. 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: Got message trying to log in to email 'too many login failures, try again in 10 mins'

Glad to know I'm not the only person getting this.

It's possible someone is trying to run a password cracker.

Hence my question: "How many failed logins before BT invokes this feature"

If it's, say 10, then the password cracker isn't going to get there any time soon.

If it's in the 1000's then eventually they will crack the password.

Alternatively someone's trying to use my old password to login and send spam. And yes, I have seen them in the 'sent' box once. I believe they send the emails and then delete them from Sent box to cover their tracks. Using my real account rather than a spoof covers them against recipients hovering the mouse over the sender's name to see if it's genuine. (People are now fairly wise to spoofed usernames).

If BT can determine there has been too many failed logins then BT must know how many there were. It would be nice if BT could display the number of fails since last successful login as an added security feature.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I have no idea how many times it would take to fail but I doubt it will be in the thousands. More likely less than ten. You could always try it your self until it does fail and you would then know.

I am more inclined to believe that it is another problem with the webmail service. As I said it has only happened once to me. It has never happened when using an email client, or fetch email on my phone and tablet which are set to fetch in less than ten minutes so if a hacker had been trying a password cracker it would have shown up then.

As regards your "hacking theory" in order to send spam from your email account, as you will no doubt have gathered by now I don't subscribe to that and in particular the hacker deleting the emails to cover their tracks despite what you have said about finding them once in your sent box. The volume of emails sent by spammers is I suspect more than the 49 permitted group email limit set by BTMail on your account so this would be rather limiting for any spammer.

If they used your real account would it not be the case that any replies to the spam email would return to you so there would be no gain for the spammer. Did you receive any replies?

Every spam email that I have checked has always had a spoofed email address and that includes ones that purported to be from people that I know who had their account compromised when they were with Yahoo.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

re:  Did you receive any replies?

Yes, in the form of delivery failure messages. So I could see that the real email address used (it was mine) and I could see what the spam message was (it contained a link to a dodgy website).

re: ... email would return to you so there would be no gain for the spammer

The messages sent out contained a web page link, so the spammers (and there have been several) would not be trying to get replies from the email, more trying to get the recipients to look at some dodgy web site.

re: The volume of emails sent by spammers is I suspect more than the 49 permitted group email limit set by BTMail on your account so this would be rather limiting for any spammer.

I've seen the failed deliveries come back in batches, which would fit the group email limit, and mean they were trying to circumvent the group mail limit.

As an aside, it's worth setting up a non-existent email address in Contacts to see if anyone is doing this, then you'd see the failed delivery come back.

re: deleting the emails to cover their tracks - I've found that with BT Mail webmail if you delete from Sent box they don't appear in Trash, so you wouldn't see the spam mails there either.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@radclifm wrote:

re:  Did you receive any replies?

Yes, in the form of delivery failure messages. So I could see that the real email address used (it was mine) and I could see what the spam message was (it contained a link to a dodgy website). Not being an email spoofer I can only go by what I have read and it would appear that when an email address is spoofed it will be returned by the delivery failure system to the spoofed address because no authorisation checks are done on spoofed address. That is the point of spoofing a genuine address.

re: ... email would return to you so there would be no gain for the spammer

The messages sent out contained a web page link, so the spammers (and there have been several) would not be trying to get replies from the email, more trying to get the recipients to look at some dodgy web site. Fair enough.

re: The volume of emails sent by spammers is I suspect more than the 49 permitted group email limit set by BTMail on your account so this would be rather limiting for any spammer.

I've seen the failed deliveries come back in batches, which would fit the group email limit, and mean they were trying to circumvent the group mail limit.

As an aside, it's worth setting up a non-existent email address in Contacts to see if anyone is doing this, then you'd see the failed delivery come back. I have already done that. It is the only email address I have in my contacts. I don't keep contacts or emails on the servers. I would rather be responsible for my own emails and contacts security.

re: deleting the emails to cover their tracks - I've found that with BT Mail webmail if you delete from Sent box they don't appear in Trash, so you wouldn't see the spam mails there either. I have found that in BTMail if you do delete from sent box they do get put in the trash so your spammers are very tidy not only deleting it from the sent folder but also the Trash folder.

I am not trying to convince you one way or the other, you have your views that your email account is/has been logged onto and emails sent from it and I have my view that it was only your email account address that was spoofed. I think we will just have respect each others views and agree to differ.

The bottom line is you do what you feel is best for your security and piece of mind when using your email account.

0 Ratings