Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Great speeds wired, poor wireless..

Are you sure that you have set the wireless on the BT Home Hub 3 to b/g/n and not just b/g only?

0 Ratings
metallica86
Beginner
Message 12 of 20

How do I do that Keith? Sorry, i'm still getting to grips with the settings ETC.

Could you give me a guide for what you just said lol

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

BT Home Hub 3

1. Enter bthomehub.home in your web browser to open your Hub Manager.
  2. If this is the first time you've logged into your Hub Manager you'll be asked to enter your Hub's Admin password, written on the pullout Hub Settings Card. You'll then need to create and enter your own new password.
  3. Click on Settings then enter your Hub Manager password. Click OK.
  4. Click on Advanced Settings then Continue to Advanced Settings.
  5. Click on Wireless.
  6. On the next screen click on the Wireless interface type drop down menu and select the interface type "802.11b/g/n".
  7. Click Apply.

You may find that your home hub is already set to that value, as its the default.

0 Ratings
metallica86
Beginner
Message 14 of 20

Yeah, it's already set to thatSmiley Sad.

Even through an ethernet connecion the speed is up and down like a yo-yo. I average 20mbps, but once in a blue moon on the BT speed tester I get 70+.

Really cannot understand where the problem lies. You said in a previous post my adapter is a "N" type -I have read these adapters can't handle these speeds on another forum and aren't very reliable.

Either the problem is my laptop is rubbish or the hub is'nt cream knackered.

I've gone through ever single channel on the router, spoken to someone on the chat and the only conclusion was to "wait 7 days" and messed around with the adapter settings, all to no avail.

The Iphones, Xbox and other devices all manage just 20mbps aswell, so surely cannot be my laptop.

0 Ratings
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 20

How many of the devices you list are actually wireless-n ?   An iPhone4 apparently is, not sure about previous generations though.  The Xbox is not wireless-n unless you have bought the wireless-n adapter for it.  

20Mbps is actually quite good for wireless-g devices, I get @21-22Mbps on my ancient laptop and @15Mbps on my Android phone;- I've no way to test what my wireless printer is getting but it's faster than it can actually print it.

My eldest son also has a Samsung laptop, I am a little dubious about the wireless cards that Samsung build into their laptops as his only ever connects at about 70Mbps - whereas the Linksys USB wireless-n dongle on my desktop system always connects at 144Mbps despite being twice as far away from the router. That connection consistently gives me download speeds in excess of 50Mbps on the speed testing sites, which is more than enough for me considering it is 50 + times faster than my previous ADSL broadband line ever provided and hardly costs any more overall.

0 Ratings
metallica86
Beginner
Message 16 of 20

Two phones, a 360 and two laptops are connected wireless.

20mbps is'nt a bad speed, but it's a massive difference from the 75mbps i'm getting via an ethernet. Losing over 50mbps surely cannot be normal.

My adapter is Atheros AR9285 ; apparently they're pretty useless for getting anything higher than 20mb ( although  clasffied a "N"). Whenever I connect wireless I get a connection of 54mbps or if i'm lucky I get 64mbps, still won't allow me to get anything over 20mb wireless though. I've tried updating the driver, changing the channels, rebooting ETC.

If anyone else has this wireless card and has figured out a way around the 54/65mbps connection rate, please help.

0 Ratings
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 20

I'm trying to say that ANY device that is -g rather than -n is going to give you these sorts of speeds. I read recently that your download speeds are never likely to be more than about 50% of the connection speed; a wireless-g device won't connect at more than 54 Mbps so  by that logic you're never going to get much more than 20Mbps download through it.

As for the network card in your laptop , I can only agee.   If you know someone else with a  HH3 setup, you could try connecting to theirs and checking the connection speed you get  -  that'd give you a clue as to whether the problem lies in your laptop or in your HH3, although it sounds as if you are already leaning towards the former.

0 Ratings
ashfan
Beginner
Message 18 of 20

Just came across this thread through a Google search, has i'm having the exact same problem with my wireless speed from using the Atheros-ar9285.

Speed from a ethernet cable is absolutely perfect at around 60mb. But the moment I take the cable out and go wireless i'm back to around 15mb (at best).

I have done everything above including change the channels, reboot the router and change the adapter settings (although the adapter is very limited to what you can actually change).

Like "metallica86", I manage a max connection rate of 64 whenever I connect wireless, which is obviously going to struggle getting anywhere near to the 60mb down speeds i'd recieve from ethernet connection. I have no other devices connected to the router barring the laptop i'm currently using; no xboxs, no phones, no ipads, no laptops, NOTHING...

This adapter is clearly a g type, regardless of what anyone out there says. I have read on countless forums for weeks about this specific adapter needing updates or settings altering ETC. Nothing will give this adapter a higher connection value than 64mbps.

The engineer should have done a wireless speed check instead of tell me i'd be getting speeds of nearing 60mb - failing to tell me i'd only achieve that speed from using ethernet cables....

0 Ratings
gcdcfc
Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Had Infinity a week tomorrow and still not getting even 1/4 of the promised 80mb wireless.

I'd be delighted with anything over 40mb wireless, but i'm struggling at even getting 10mb.

Also, I can't do the BT speed test to check my IP profile; it gives me a test error everytime. I've got the latest Java installed and this message still occurs, despite refreshing the page countless times.

Todays speed with a ethernet connection is averaging around 20mb. TWENTY! Where in the blue hell has the 80mb gone?

iLooks like a homeplug is the only solution.

0 Ratings
Words
Contributor
Message 20 of 20

I've had Infinity for a week and it took me a couple of days to figure out how to improve wireless connections. I have n-adapters all round, but they were connecting at 54Mbps. I changed three things: 1) I moved to a manually selected channel, which made no difference; 2) switched the hub to 'wireless n' only; and 3) I changed the wireless security to 'WPA2 only'. After rebooting the computers (an re-entering the key in one of them) I was connecting wirelessly at 130 Mbps and speeds went up from a max of 20Mbps to around 29Mbps (I was promised a max of 33.5 Mbps, so this is pretty good). The mixed security protocol seemed to be the problem.

0 Ratings