Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
selectortone
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Gremlins

Go to solution

Well, today takes the biscuit...

I've been having intermittent broadband problems for several months, which I suspect are caused by a noisy phone line.

My broadband disconnects once or twice a day which means that my download speed rarely gets higher than about 2000Kbps. I am a mile away from my exchange, I'm on a theoretical 8Mb connection and on the rare occasions that broadband stays connected for more than a couple of days my downspeed has risen to the giddy heights of 6000Kbps.

I can hear intermittent noise on my phone line and I've had several conversations with the people on the 'help'desk in India about this. I've been through the 'help'desk script several times - disconnected everything else and I'm plugged into the master socket.

Today the noise was particularly bad and my broadband disconnected several times. I logged into the home hub and, refreshing every 5 seconds, watched the line disconnect and reconnect about ten times and the downspeed change from 6000Kbps to 250Kbps and all points in between over about half an hour.

I've just done a bt speedtest and here's the result:

Download  Speed

217 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 217 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :6112 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps

IP Profile of 250Kbps on a line capable of 6112Kbps. Try watching youtube or BBC iPlayer at that speed....

I phoned the 'help'line again, reported a noisy line and the nice Indian lady started off on her standard script. I butted in and told her I'd been through it all before...I'd  disconnected everything - including the homehub - and couldn't she hear the noise for herself? She admitted that the line was indeed very noisy (wish I'd recorded that!) and said she's do a test on it.

She rang back five minutes later and said the line tested good -- even though my handset was plugged into the master socket, nothing else was connected, and she agreed that the noise was still very audible (and yes, I've tried another handset).

I'm at a loss.... I plug into the master socket, nothing else is connected, I have noise on the line and BT keep telling me I don't.

I'm a widower, I live on my own, one daughter lives in Canada (Skype? forget it...), the other daughter lives 100 miles away, ditto my son. To help the planet I've cancelled bank, water, electricity and BT paper statements so to pay my bills and keep in touch with the world outside my front door.....

....I NEED MY BROADBAND/PHONE DAMMIT!!!!!

Sigh......

sorry, I know it's unlikely anyone is going to fix it, just had to vent....

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Gremlins

Go to solution

Have you tried a quite line test

dial 17070 option 2 and listen - should hear nothing

best done with old type analogue phone digital will do but may have slight hiss

do not use home hub phone from the master socket

and you should report this as a phone fault not as a broadband fault

may be worth mailin a mod at  Contact the mods at
forum.moderation.team@bt.com

and give link to this topic  along with account and phone numbers

and give link to this topic

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
selectortone
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Yes, I've tried the quiet line test.

I can hear frying bacon. So did the nice lady in India. However when she 'tested the line: No fault found.

The word 'kafkaesque' springs to mind....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

as you have a phone fault did you phone 150 and report the PHONE fault - nothing to do with your broadband problemsSmiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Selectortone,

Thanks for the post.  I am sorry to hear of the problems that you are having.

I would agree with Imjolly, this fault sounds more like a phone line fault rather than a broadband fault.  Any fault with your landline will inevitably have an adverse affect on your broadband connection.  If we can identify and fix the line fault then the broadband should fix itself.

I would like to test your line, can you please drop me an email to the address in my profile.  Include your BT account details and the link to this thread.  I will get the ball rolling.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
selectortone
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks Sean, email sent (to the moderators address shown in your profile)

Of course, as sod's law would have it, I did a quiet line test just now and the line is silent as the grave this morning.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Selectortone,

Thanks for the email.

I have looked into this for you.  I can see that there is an open PSTN fault and an engineer has been arranged for Wednesday this week.  Hopefully this engineer will be able to identify the problem.

High resistance line faults can have this affect, one minute there is noise and the next minute its all quiet and no problems.  This can sometimes indicate that there is wet/damp getting in on the line at some point or even one of the joints in the line.  By any chance does the noise that you experience get worse in wet weather?  Perhaps this morning the weather is good so no noise is present.

I feel we need to get an engineer out to check things.  Problem with these types of faults is that even with an engineers visit it can be very hard to pin point the fault and often, unless the fault occurs when the engineer is testing, the line will test clear of any faults. 

Can you please drop us a post on this thread on Wednesday after the engineer has been to let us know how he/she got on.  Rest assured we will get to the bottom of this.

Cheers

Sean 

0 Ratings
selectortone
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for looking into this Sean.

I haven't noticed any correlation between line noise and wet weather. It was sunny here in Bournemouth yesterday and the line noise was terrible. Same weather today, but the line is noise free (so far...) and my broadband connection has been up for over 19 hours without a disconnect. Still stuck at 220Kbps download speed, presumably because of the number of disconnects yesterday.

I will let you know how the Engineer's visit goes. I have already had one visit about a month ago where the Engineer checked my internal wiring (which is very simple - one master socket and one BT-fitted extension terminating in an ADSL socket).

I hope I can persuade the Engineer to check the wiring upstream of the master socket, I am convinced that there is an intermittent fault between there and the exchange.

0 Ratings
selectortone
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

The line noise is back and broadband is disconnecting again this afternoon.

ADSL line status Connection information

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:05:19
Downstream2,624 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

Downstream was up to 6100Kbps this morning.

0 Ratings
selectortone
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Connection information

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:00:07
Downstream2,752 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps
0 Ratings