cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Grey Box

Out of curiosity anyone know what this is. I have a grey BT branded box immediately before my master sockets (2) its oblong but also slightly triangular with a piece of string/cord coming from the front to the bottom.
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Grey Box

Picture?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

that is normally used as an external connection box
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

"that is normally used as an external connection box "

Normally as in normally internally before the master in a typical property? Never had this in my previous properties.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

no it is often used on the outside of properties hence the word external
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Ok thanks, I wondered if you meant that but it didn't look very obviously waterproof. Looks like a relic from the 1970s tbh

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

the external grey box looks like this and not like yours  external_NTE_1.png  this is a master socket usually outside the back door

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 14

Looks like a BT66 (block terminal 66), usually fitted externally and used as the transition point between an underground cable and 'internal' type wiring..it is common though that a cable coming out of the BT 66 would terminate at the NTE5 master socket
I think the 'bit of string' is a retaining strap for the lid, so it doesn't get lost
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

@pbwpu wrote:
Out of curiosity anyone know what this is. I have a grey BT branded box immediately before my master sockets (2) its oblong but also slightly triangular with a piece of string/cord coming from the front to the bottom.

do you have 2 master sockets?  do you mean one actual master and and other NTE5 used as an extension socket?

0 Ratings