cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 18

Guest network, what do I need?

I'm wanting to create a guest network. I have a smart hub and believe you can't do this on it, missing features in my opinion.

What would I need please? I have infinity BB.
Thanks
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Guest network, what do I need?

You need to buy a third party VDSL Modem/router and replace your Smarthub with it. 

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 18

I don't want to replace the smart hub sorry should have said that. I'd rather just have something extra if required.

I have an old router not sure of type, but unsure how to use with s.art hub, what I need etc
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

You could simply add a wireless access point and plug it into an Ethernet port of the home hub. That wireless network will have a different SSID and wireless password which you then use as a guest network.

It would not give total isolation from other devices on your own network, as that would need a router designed to do that as part of its internal software.

Some Netgear routers have that facility.

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

Ah ok that would do, can you suggest one? That would do. It's only temporary for when friends come etc. I don't really want to give out my password, rather give a guest account.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

If you do it that way you will need to make sure you do not have network sharing turned on on your devices or your guests will be able to access those files.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

@QoQ wrote:
Ah ok that would do, can you suggest one? That would do. It's only temporary for when friends come etc. I don't really want to give out my password, rather give a guest account.

You would need to buy a separate wireless access point like the TP- Link TL-WA801ND and connect it to a spare Ethernet port on the home hub, once its been configured. It works very well, with a good wireless range. Make sure you configure it correctly.

This can transmit up to four different SSIDs, each with its own password and MAC filtering options. Normally a single SSID is sufficient.

Manufacturers page.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-12_TL-WA801ND.html

These are the network settings I use.

801nd network.jpg

Wireless settings

801nd wireless.jpg

Wireless security

801nd security.jpg

QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

Appreciate help thanks. Thinking now I also have an Apple Time Capsule. Could I use that? I know probably is harder to configure?

At the moment it's plugged into a powerline adapter that goes to another powerline adapter to a hub/switch, splits off to PS4, Apple TV, and the hub/switch is connected to the BT smart hub. So..

TCap>powerline...>... powerline...>...hub/switch...>...BT smart hub.

Not sure if be harder with Apple for this or not? Be great if could have a separate WiFi on this though, save me having to buy the tplink, and get it out when needed etc.

Any tips on getting this to work?

Thanks
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Not sure, you would have to see if any of the Apple users offer help. I would however be concerned if guests had direct access to the Time capsule, as it may be a security risk.

The TP Link would be simply left connected all the time. If you use the Multi SSID option, you can in fact setup additional secure wireless networks for you own use. It helps to reduce the loading on the smart hubs wireless network, as some devices could be registered to one of the four TP Link SSIDs.

It can be connected to the remote end of the powerline link.

One of the SSIDs would be reserved for guests, the rest would be free for your usage.

0 Ratings
colboud
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Hi Keith,

I have set up a Guest Access with TP LINK much the same as you have suggested on the other end of a Powerline Link, but can't see an option to alter TX Rate, although there is a drop down option shown on User Guide. Wondered if the same applied to your TP Link? 

0 Ratings