Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Gutted by BT's attitude with my problem

Hi,

I really hope that someone can advise be better than BT's support can.

Potted history:

Had Infinity installed when the 40mb was the only option.
Got download speed of 38.9mb and upload over 10mb

All was well and I was happy.

Then, I had an email saying that I could go to the Infinity 2 package for free and get up to 80mb

I did the speed check on the BT website and it said I should get 57mb

So, I went for it.

The speed went to 45mb down and almost 20mb up.

So, I left it at that. Was definitely better.

After a few months it has settled down to 32mb down and 12 up.

So I called BT and they said I should be getting 57mb.

I tried a new router, various resets, nothing.

Eventually, they sent an Openreach engineer out who was well clued up. He tested the speed at the cabinet and said it was 35mb. This was due to the 'system' lowering it due to bad connections.

Then, he dropped the bombshell. We have Aluminium cabling between the cabinet and our house.

He said that the 80mb frequency and data was too much for the aluminium cabling and it was causing connection issues and that was why it had fallen so low.

So, if I were to go back on to the 40mb original Infinity option, in theory, the speed should rise to 38.9mb again.

That's where the **bleep** fools in support (india?) said there was no way the cabling was aluminium. It is. I kept telling them that. I know two BT engineers who have confirmed it. I was transferred about for 2 hours, played endless loops of music to be eventually told, Tough, I am stuck with it. They can't put me back on the original 40mb package "because BT will always put you on the best package availabale in your area".
Well, mine is the 40mb but I can't have that.
The engineer has requested a reset but he thinks that fairly quickly, it will settle back to 32mb again.

I know 32 is good, don't get me wrong here, but the older package is the one the engineer says I should try to get back as it will be faster, cleaner and more stable.

Any thoughts anyone?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Gutted by BT's attitude with my problem

Not sure if this information is correct but I think the up to 40 (old infinity) used another type of signal/frequency to the cabinet which is why you was able to get a higher stable speed on the old package. The new 80meg package uses another type of signal/frequency to produce higher speeds which might be why you seen a drop in the speed.

As to changing back to the old package I don't think that's possible 😕

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 4

@UrbanGrunt wrote:

Not sure if this information is correct but I think the up to 40 (old infinity) used another type of signal/frequency to the cabinet which is why you was able to get a higher stable speed on the old package. The new 80meg package uses another type of signal/frequency to produce higher speeds which might be why you seen a drop in the speed.

As to changing back to the old package I don't think that's possible 😕

They both use the 17a Frequency

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Welcome to the over subscribed club.

0 Ratings