Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

HD channel suggestion

Hi all,

This is probably just a personal choice but I would find it a lot better if the HD channels replaced the SD channels in the guide. For example, if you have an HD subscription or can reveive Freeview HD, only the HD channel is visable, a bit like Sky have arranged their guide.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: HD channel suggestion

Apart from the channels BT offer I have hidden most of the Freeview SD channels that also have a channel in HD.

Have not hidden STV SD as that offers sort of local news for my area at 6pm weekdays.

Also still have the SD version of BBC2 Scotland on my Youview as BBC2 HD is the English version.

The hidden channels also dont show up on the Youview app and it would be nice if the BT TV app would do the same.

The BT TV app also shows STV Edinburgh and I have never been able to get a good signal for the Edinburgh local mux and the channel is not even showing on my Youview box.

Also im most happy with the Youview service as a whole but I do think it could be doing with a few more minor improvments to stop it falling behing in tecnolagy.

Darren

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

I have hidden the non HD channels too expect for BBC 1 so if I watch the news or Sunday Politics I can switch over to watch when they go to the London region.

In addition, it would be nice to have E4, Film 4, More 4 HD and ITV 2, 3 and 4 in HD, also the UKTV channels in HD where there is one, epecially Eden!

The addition I mentioned is only a pipe dream and I can live without, just be nice to have eventually.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 14

Definitely the ITV, Channel 4 and UKTV channels for starters. BT Youview is behind SKY and Virgin Media when it comes to HD channels.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

Why so? It's out of BT's control, as numbering of the channels broadcast over the air are governed by Ofcom. Also, it's fairly pointless in my opinion to hide the terrestrial channels of the HD equivalents. Just press 101 for BBC1 HD for example, pretty simple really. Also, I can't watch the local BBC news if I hide channel 1.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 14

Dads in his early 80s and would forget to watch the main channels in HD and end up watching the old SD versions.

Thats one reason I have hiden some of the SD versions of channels.

I have since also done the same with the Youview box in my bedroom as no point in having some of the SD versions of channels when I have the HD ones.

I do think BT is a little behind the likes of Sky in its HD offering but on a whole BT TV is a fine service.

I do like the Youview service but it badly needs more minor improvments to stop it falling behind in tec.

Darren

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

I'm not sure if there are two differing topics going on at once here. Obviously BT have no control whatsoever over Freeview LCN's - they are what they are. They would be able to introduce some sort of HD channel swap for their pay channels like Sky do though, surely?

As for offering additional HD channels like ITV2-4 HD, E4 HD etc., these are the type of channels that YouView should be offering in the 300-600 range along with extra pay channels. Offering HD variants of SD-only Freeview channels would make sense and build further on the Freeview foundations that YouView is built on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

@PBS83 wrote:

I'm not sure if there are two differing topics going on at once here. Obviously BT have no control whatsoever over Freeview LCN's - they are what they are. They would be able to introduce some sort of HD channel swap for their pay channels like Sky do though, surely?

BT is unable to make channel 101 (BBC 1HD) appear at channel 1 or change the numbers of any channel appearing in the Freeview guide. As for the pay channels, BT, TalkTalk and YouView decided the HD channels should appear in a distinct block.

@PBS83 wrote:

As for offering additional HD channels like ITV2-4 HD, E4 HD etc., these are the type of channels that YouView should be offering in the 300-600 range along with extra pay channels. Offering HD variants of SD-only Freeview channels would make sense and build further on the Freeview foundations that YouView is built on.

This has nothing to do with YouView, it would be for BT to do a deal with the channel owners and include such channels in its subscription packs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

I'm well aware of how the LCN's are operated, i.e. BBC One HD on 101 etc. etc.

As for the HD channel topic (pay), I also know that this is down to the service providers agreeing carriage terms with content providers and services. Replace YouView for 'BT'.

As for the HD channels appearing in a 'block', there is still no reason a channel swap couldn't apply, with the SD variants swapping out with the HD EPG number. This would not lose any continuity and would make the service much better for HD, and in future, UHD customers. It's not a fantasy request, it's something that Sky already do and something that other providers should follow suit on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 14

I think the main argument of this post is why not add more HD channels via IPTV, surely it would not be difficult to negotiate with ITV and UKTV to get all of their channels added to the EPG. They may appear in the 300s, but you can already filter HD channels on the guide. This would be an easy solution to make BT Youview more attractive to potential customers.
0 Ratings