Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 14

Re: HD channel suggestion

@Londonerindevon wrote:
I think the main argument of this post is why not add more HD channels via IPTV, surely it would not be difficult to negotiate with ITV and UKTV to get all of their channels added to the EPG. They may appear in the 300s, but you can already filter HD channels on the guide. This would be an easy solution to make BT Youview more attractive to potential customers.

You say that but it took SIX years for Channel 5 to launch a HD channel on Freeview despite them already offering it on Sky and Virgin. They were offered a slot twice on Freeview for the channel but ridiculous issues with Five prevented it from actually going ahead. I'm sure BT would gladly take extra HD channels to make their service more attractive, but never underestimate how tortuous negotiations can be even when it is clearly in the best interests of both sides to make it happen.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 14

@hobsgrg wrote:
You say that but it took SIX years for Channel 5 to launch a HD channel on Freeview despite them already offering it on Sky and Virgin. They were offered a slot twice on Freeview for the channel but ridiculous issues with Five prevented it from actually going ahead. I'm sure BT would gladly take extra HD channels to make their service more attractive, but never underestimate how tortuous negotiations can be even when it is clearly in the best interests of both sides to make it happen.

The comparison with Channel 5 HD are incomparable. Just because the previous owners of C5 decided to sign deals with Sky and Virgin Media that placed the HD version behind a paywall due to commercial reasons does not mean that every negotiation is the same. Channel 5 took so long to appear on DTT due to their own choice - nobody elses. It was obviously not in the best interests of both parties to appear on DTT at the time or C5 HD would have appeared long ago. It was in their own best interests to go behind a paywall due to guaranteed revenue from subscriptions over the additional viewer reach that DTT provides.

TalkTalk don't offer any HD channels to their customers - this is through their own choice. BT do offer HD channels because they went out their way to agree carriage terms. There is nothing stopping them from doing so for further carriage deals going forward.

It seems to me that the YouView IP channels as a whole appear to have hit a bump in the road in terms of new additions. Negotiations may well be torturous in certain cases but they're not like that in all cases. It would be nice to hear how negotiations are ongoing, or even being drawn out, as opposed to the silence of no new deals in the pipeline because BT are not actively pursuing new content.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 14

It is interesting about Chanel 5 HD being part of a contract intiially with Virgin  and Sky. Is it possible the Channel 4 extra channels, ITV and UKTV have a similar contracts yet to be expired before they can go for HD.

I know BT have managed to get Lifetime and H2 to be HD channels though no confirmation on when that will happen yet. Maybe it is something BT will work on, I can imagine Channel 4 would be keen because they are a public service broadcaster and would be nice to have More4 and Film4 in HD.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 14

@PBS83 wrote:

@hobsgrg wrote:

The comparison with Channel 5 HD are incomparable. Just because the previous owners of C5 decided to sign deals with Sky and Virgin Media that placed the HD version behind a paywall due to commercial reasons does not mean that every negotiation is the same. Channel 5 took so long to appear on DTT due to their own choice - nobody elses. It was obviously not in the best interests of both parties to appear on DTT at the time or C5 HD would have appeared long ago. It was in their own best interests to go behind a paywall due to guaranteed revenue from subscriptions over the additional viewer reach that DTT provides.

TalkTalk don't offer any HD channels to their customers - this is through their own choice. BT do offer HD channels because they went out their way to agree carriage terms. There is nothing stopping them from doing so for further carriage deals going forward.

It seems to me that the YouView IP channels as a whole appear to have hit a bump in the road in terms of new additions. Negotiations may well be torturous in certain cases but they're not like that in all cases. It would be nice to hear how negotiations are ongoing, or even being drawn out, as opposed to the silence of no new deals in the pipeline because BT are not actively pursuing new content.

I wasn't saying they were the same, I was just giving an example to demonstrate that sometimes adding HD Channels can be more difficult than you might think/expect. Some will be relatively straight forward and some will be a nightmare and most will probably be somewhere inbetween. The silence from BT makes sense from a commercial point of view, if they announce they are in negotiations then that raises people expectations and people will get mad/upset if it doesn't happen in a timely matter no matter how clear they make it that nothing is agreed. It also gives the other side a stronger hand as there will be greater pressure on BT to make a deal even if it is a bad deal for them.

Saying nothing sucks from a customer point of view though, it would be nice what might be coming soonish.

0 Ratings