cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rebel_Diamond
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

HD movies streaming

Hi, i've just placed an order for infinity to be installed next monday and i'm moving from my current provider which is called FAST and they had no traffic shaping at all.

My question... I purchase a lot of movies to watch from the PS3 store each month and usually stream them in SD (standard definition) and the reason for changing to infinity is so i can stream the movies in HD (high definition)

I have chosen the unlimited option which i understand is 300Gb/month.

I estimate my usage to be around 60-80Gb per month so can you assure me that this is the service for me and i won't be traffic shaped and have my speed throttled down as long as i don't exceed the 300Gb cap as i don't want to be tied into a contract that results in me not being able to watch movies in HD. This is the only reason for me wanting Infinity.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: HD movies streaming

BT always throttles P2P networks during peak periods whatever your usage.  The throughput at peak times for other services can also vary depending on how congested your local exchange is - some exchanges will show little drop, some may show substantial drops in speed.

I don't think BT would ever guarantee that the throughput you need would be achievable at all times.

0 Ratings
Rebel_Diamond
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I won't be using P2P, i will be streaming HD movies i purchase direct from the Playstation store.

0 Ratings
Rebel_Diamond
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Bump...

0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

As long as you do not exceed the FUP of 300GB then you will not be capped during peak times. What no one will be able to tell you is if there will be network congestion at peak times that will stop you watching in HD.
0 Ratings
Rebel_Diamond
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Thanks Geoff93

it says i will get the full 40Mb down 10Mb up so hopefully any congestion wouldn't take it so low as to stop HD streaming.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

it depends how the movie is streamed - some providers use the P2P network protocols and thus this could cause you issues as BT throttle this heavily - find out from the provider how they stream the product to you

0 Ratings