cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

HDMI switch and BT Vision / Youview box

I do not know if this wants to be here or in the BT Vision section.
=================================

I have more kit with HDMI outputs than inputs on my TV so I bought a switch eBay Item number:300680594543. And connected it up.
Ports 1 & 2 to Sony RDR-HXD DVDRs no problems.
Then I added the BT Vision box and it would not start no matter which of the other ports I used it simply would not start. Put into a TV direct HDMI and no problem.
Then tried the Youview box it  seemed to work fine until I switched the HDMI switch to one or other of the DVDRs, when I went back to the Youview box I just got a blue screen. I have the output of the Youview connected via SCART to an input on one of the DVDRs so I checked and the YouView box was working fine just no output on the HDMI. Cycling the power resolves the situation until the HDMI switch is switched to another port and we go through the rigmarole again.

Any thoughts on this.

( I have also posted this on the AVForum.)

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: HDMI switch and BT Vision / Youview box

If you have YouView, do you need 2 DVD recorders?
---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

If you have YouView, do you need 2 DVD recorders?

THANKYOU - does not solve the problem!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 17

It was more a suggestion that your setup is more complicated than it needs to be. If you need to use the switch I'd reserve it for the DVD recorders only and try and keep the YouView box on a direct connection to the TV. But I would certainly also review what I need and don't need. The YouView box is a hard disc recorder with 7 days catchup via the internet. I can see why you may want 1 DVD recorder for archiving but 2 seems a little excessive as you have 3 devices all capable of doing the same job. I'm assuming you have more than 1 HDMI port on the TV for the solution I suggest to be feasible
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

What you suggest is NOT A SOLUTION !

I am not interested in justifying or reducing my kit list.

I want to find a technical solution to why the problem is manifesting itsself.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Chill out my friend!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 17

ncmoody,

Everyone here is just a customer just like you. Some ask questions because they can help. others because they want more info before offering advice and others because they're just interested. Getting stroppy with them is NOT A PATH to a solution.

If you want technical help on non-BT products, perhaps you should go to non-BT forums - or otherwise accept the comments in the vein they were offered.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

I have been using fora (forums) for almost as long as there has been an internet and many of the users of this forum have an unfortunate tendancy to want to know why someone wants information and then judge if they think the reason is appropriate before dispensing information, if they have any.

Others have a habit of just bumping their gums and have no technical input to make but wish to pass judgement on others way of doing things.

This is the right forum for this question as the anomolous behavious is demonstrated by the BT boxes not other kit.

I am sure that eventually someone who has the technical expertise to assist me will come along and I will get the information I desire.

Meanwhole I have to suffer the yappings of others who think it is clever to suggest the answer is not to find the solution but use less kit.

This forum has a quite a reputation in the technical world. The need to wade through dross before getting that pearl of wisdom that can be found here from the few highly skilled people who do come here tends to get really frustrating.

I think it is a real shame that the Mods do not weed out and leave this forum to the experts and those with a genuine need for information. The noise level here is enough to put off all but the most determined.

As for 'getting stroppy' when I see someone getting frustrated with the noise I redouble my efforts to assist them and prove that being a member of a forum is worth it and there are a few who genuinly wish to help. I have not had the opertunity to demonstrate this on this forum but it has been demonstrated to me here. which is why I persist.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 17

Is your switch HDCP compliant? I didn't see this in the spec from your ebay number.

HDCP is a type of digital copy protection which needs both the transmitter and reciever to be compliant. I think that most TV's and also the YV and BTV boxes are HDCP compliant, therefore if you put a switch anywhere in the line this also needs to be HDCP compliant, otherwise it won't always (sometimes never) re-transmit the signal from the box to the TV.

With more devices on the switch there are also more possibilities of HDCP handshake problems with non-compliant devices, and re-booting the devices (ie your YV box) will force a renogiation of the handshakes and temporarily resolve the problem, until you start switching between devices which again can cause problems, unless the switch is also HDCP compliant.

As you have the switch and hopefully its documention you can look down this route to see if that is part of your problem.

If you want a more technical answer then you probably need your switch tech docs and an HDCP guide.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 17

My questions were not intended to pass judgement but were to help understand how you have things set up with the aim of helping with what you are trying to achieve. Sometimes the solution is to take stock of what we have and ask if we can achieve the same thing a different way.

When someone offers you help it is not acceptable to be rude and insulting to those who take the time to try and assist.

I will and have always tried to help other users wherever possible on this forum and it is through feedback on posts from those users through the rating and solution system that determine whether someone on here is an expert. It's not a card I ever play but I stand by my rating on here.

If you decide the help offered to you here is not for you that's a choice you can make.

0 Ratings