cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shinymac
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

HELP !! : Confusion over BT Fon and BT Openzone !!

Hi All.

Firstly, I am new here, so apologies if the answers to my problem can be found elsewhere, but I need a QUICK ANSWER and dont have time to search for it on here. Thanks..

I am going on holiday to the Leuchars area of Scotland very very soon, and am taking my laptop with me. Due to a fault of some sort my laptop is refusing to accept and connect to any dongle, so I am keen to know what other methods of connection there are available to me in this area. (Wireless broadband is not provided at my holiday destination).

I have read up on BT Fon and Openzone and studied network maps of my holiday area, but find both products confusing. 

What I wish to know is... although I DONT Share my broadband connection at home, with BT Fon, (and dont particularly wish to), apart from dedicated premises like some hotels, pubs, etc, can I connect to the internet by simply being near to or parked outside something like an "Openzone" in my holiday area  ?? And to do this, do I need  some sort of password that BT provide ? Or does it work like as if I was using my dongle..and simply connects to the signal without the need for a password etc ?

I hope I have explained this clearly (apologies if I havent ) . An urgent reply on here would be appreciated please.

Thanks in advance !

Derek

ps...I have just also phoned BT Openzone Help, and they seem to suggest that unless I sign up to BT Fon and share my HOME broadband connection with other FON customers, I will not be able to connect on holiday to ANY "Openzone" OR "BT Fon" sites in my holiday area ?? Is this correct ?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: HELP !! : Confusion over BT Fon and BT Openzone !!

Please remove you e-mail address, as you are not allowed to display it on this forum. Replies can only come via this forum.

Unless you are opted into BT fon, you will not be able to use the hotspots without paying for a voucher.

To opt into FON, go here http://www.btfon.com/register

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

you do not need to be using a home hub at home to register with BTFON just a BT broadband customer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
shinymac
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Hi Imjolly,

Thanks....I understand that. But the point I am checking up on and need answers to, is that I dont WANT to sign up to BT Fon at ALL. But BT say that unless I do sign up, I wouldnt be able to get access on holiday to ANY "Openzone" or "BT Fon" signal areas from my laptop ?

Can anyone confirm this is true ? And therefore am I correct in assuming that if so, the only places I COULD get free mobile broadband wi fi access to, would be in those establishments that provide FREE access, such as Mc Donalds, Wetherspoons, etc ??

Thanks in advance

Derek

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

if you do not subscribe to BTFON then you cannot use the BTFON and Openzone free out and about and you need to rely on the the free wifi in shops cafe etc

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
shinymac
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Hi Imjolly,

Thanks. That is the answer I feared would be the case ! Lol.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Derek

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

If you want to use free wifi provided by a commercial establishment, you will usually need to get sign-in details. You will have to check with the establishment.

For example Wetherspoons use The Cloud, and you have to register with The Cloud. Once you've done it you can use the service again without having to re-register, even if it's a different provider (eg Little Chef also use The Cloud). I don't know how it works with Openzone because when I've felt the need in Starbuck's and John Lewis and the occasional phone box, I've used my BT Total Broadband sign-in.   

These free wifi signals can be rather weak and flaky.   

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
nuthurst
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

You can still use Openzone, of course, but you will just have to pay, and access it through your browser. If you're not up for long, this might not be a bad idea. The other thing you can do is look around for free wireless in pubs, cafes etc. You'll still have to pay, but at least you'll get a pint or cappuccino for your money!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

@nuthurst wrote:

You'll still have to pay, but at least you'll get a pint or cappuccino for your money!

I've no qualms about sneaking into Starbuck's and blagging a wifi connection. The coffee frightens me more than the staff. Smiley Wink

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings