cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

HELP! HELP! Please.... Cannot send email via SMTP. BT not recognising their own problem.

Go to solution

Hi,

Not posted here before but this really is a last ditch attempt to get my email working. I'm at my wits end with this.

I reported a problem that I could not send mail via SMTP (with Outlook) last December (2014). I kept getting a message from the mail server stating "421 Too many messages". They guys on live chat tried for an hour to get it working, finally gave up and told me to use WebMail instead. Ok, that worked but... in January that went off completely and I found that BT had removed my mailbox from the system!

It's now 19th March 2015. Today, (yes 3 months later) my mailbox finally came back online. At last I could catch up on all my lost messages, lost business and everything else that was important (yep all my old messages were THERE!).

BT support have been useless, in fact, more than useless. I'm abroad working at the moment and I've had to make many international calls to the UK to bitterly complain about this. They won't call me - they will only call a UK number so all the cost, plus the lost business and everything else is at my cost. So, webmail is working. I went to set up my Ouitlook client and guess what...?  I have the SAME error message. The client is connecting but error is the same. 

421 is a SERVER message which is telling me that the BT Mail server is not configured for enough connections. Either that or it's severely overloaded. This is BT's problem - not mine but all BT have done is fob me off with excuses for 3 months and now I'm back to square one. the support guys have no idea what this message means.

Today I was told that if I wanted it sorted I had to pay for BT Expert help.

What???  I don't need an "expert". I just want them to configure their server properly!

Can ANYONE - anyone from BT please, please help me to get this sorted. I'm tearing my hair out and as you may have guessed by now I'm also very angry about this.

I've tried making an online official complaint but that came to nothing as they told me as it was Outlook they couldn't help. Maybe it was set up wrong. It's not set up wrong - I'm a Network Engineer!!  I've set up hundreds of Outlook accounts! The SERVER error message is like a big flashing sign stating that it's a BT issue. Why will no-one listen to me???  Why will they do nothing at all?  This problem has been posted many times. Why is it not sorted?

Anyone???

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: HELP! HELP! Please.... Cannot send email via SMTP. BT not recognising their own problem.

Go to solution

@gaztech46 wrote:

Hi,

Not posted here before but this really is a last ditch attempt to get my email working. I'm at my wits end with this.

It's now 19th March 2015. Today, (yes 3 months later) my mailbox finally came back online. At last I could catch up on all my lost messages, lost business and everything else that was important (yep all my old messages were THERE!).

BT support have been useless, in fact, more than useless. I'm abroad working at the moment and I've had to make many international calls to the UK to bitterly complain about this. They won't call me - they will only call a UK number so all the cost, plus the lost business and everything else is at my cost.

Why are you using a consumer grade e-mail service to handle business e-mails? It simply does not make commercial sense.

Its against BTs T&Cs anyway, to use it for business.

BT Yahoo mail and BT Mail will do their best to handle mail, but there is no guarantee of service.

Either use BTs business e-mail service which uses Office 365, or another commercial paid-for e-mail service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Re: HELP! HELP! Please.... Cannot send email via SMTP. BT not recognising their own problem.

Go to solution

Hi,

I only started using it for business as a sole account in January. I've been using this email address for many years and it makes no sense to change it as until December I'd had NO issues with it at all. The problem is that as I've had it for so long there are people I know personally that I've done work for over the past gazilion years that ONLY have this address and probably no other way to contact me.  These are not necessarily in my contact book.

Anyway, that's beside the point. I'm paying for an address I can't use.This address is now on what BT call PREMIUM MAIL. There's nothing "Premium" about it.

It's been fine for about 15 years. I get a problem and the techs have been, frankly, useless. Dealing with the support people in India is a joke. I told them that the error message I'm seeing indicates that their server has a problem and they had no idea what I was talking about. They couldn't even give me recommended settings for SMTP with Outlook. I didn't need the setup as I know what to do but the support is abysmal.

The BT Broadband guys were great and tried hard to resolve the problem but even they admitted that it was a problem with the mail setup at their end - but they don't deal with mail so that was the end of that.

Personally, I don't think it's good enough. As I'm abroad at the moment, it's cost me a fortune in calls and BT flatly refuse to call me since I'm not in the UK.

I thought BT owned pretty much ALL the communications in the UK?? ... and they can't even call me??  What the hell is that about?  Can't they afford it???

I've seen the issue I have pop up on this forum several times before before but it looks like BT have never admitted it's an issue.

Believe me, it is. It's a real sorry state of affairs.  If I didn't need this address, I'd bin it. I'm using other services now - had to, no choice but I still need this to work - so why can't they fix it or even admit there is something wrong?

Come on BT...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

Why are you paying for Premium Mail, are you a BT Broadband customer?

Premium Mail is normally used by people who no longer use BT as their ISP, but still want to keep their @btinternet.com e-mail address.

There is an option to forward incoming mail to another account, so it may be worth trying that. You need to login to the webmail interface, and make changes there.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

Have you tried another email client such as Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail if only to see if the problem is with Outlook?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

I have Premium Mail as I moved and the address I moved to already had Virgin installed. Therefore I didn't need BT Broadband. However, I'm now working abroad for a while and this has contributed to the huge problems I've had contaacting BT.

Getting Premium Mail was the only way I could keep the email address. Your suggestion to add forwarding will certainly solve my immediate issues though. At the moment, as the mailbox is back I only use it to receive mail. However, I think if I use forwarding I can't "reply" to messages - as a reply would send it back to MY BT mailbox again. Messy.

This is a bit like a hammer to crack a nut.

All I want (sigh...) is for my mail to work - that's all. I don't understand how this has developed into a massive headache. It's all BT's fault and they won't do anything at all. I've been with BT for over 35 years - never waivered from them once - and this is how I get treated. There is no merit in being loyal to any supplier any more. These companies are just too big and all their customers are just a number (excuse the pun). I'm fed up. I've had enough. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

I've tried other mail clients including the native mail app and Thunderbird.

Both give me th same error.

It's not me!  The BT mail server is what is generating the error message. It simply cannot handle the amount of mail being put through it. I probably send about 2 emails a day - that's all and it can't even handle that.

Look it up. Mail Server Error 421. All will be explained.

Hopeless...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

As you are not a BT Broadband customer, this is really out of the scope of this forum. Have you tried the Premium Mail helpline number 0808 100 6778, just in case there is an issue with your account?

It also possible that you are being stopped from using BTs SMTP server, because you are not actually connected to  BT Broadband. You would therfore be restriced to using webmail only.

Error 421 – This indicates that the service is not available and the connection will be closed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

Yes of course I've contacted the Premium Mail help number. I've called them many, many times without any success at all and since I've been calling from abroad it's cost me a fortune to get nowhere.

These forums are for the BT Community. I'm part of the community since I still have BT services. This isn't a Broadband forum. As I've indicated though, I've been with BT for over 35 years so I think that entitles me to some sort of service - even from here if possible.

There is no issue with my account according to the BT staff. This has been checked and all is fine. The issue is that they are refusing to acknowledge that there is a problem although there clearly is one.

However.... your statement: 

It also possible that you are being stopped from using BTs SMTP server, because you are not actually connected to  BT Broadband. You would therfore be restriced to using webmail only.

... is new to me. No-one has told me that.

One has to then beg the question: "If you can only use so-called Premium Mail via the web then why are BT not telling people that?"  No-one seems to know - even you Keith, say that "it is also possible...."

If this actually IS the reason then I could have been told that from the beginning.

Unfortunately, error 421 is one of the more "unspecific" codes generated by mail servers. This error can mean many things. It can show misconfiguration but it doesn't show up as a security lockdown - even though it could be. What I can't understand is why no-one actually knows. No-one can explain absolutely and that's what is really annoying here.

No-one will take responsibility and no-one is willing to even try to help me out here - that's what is really bad.

Keith, you've come up with something which makes sense that may well explain the issue - but the question is really: "What can I do about it?". 

Nothing?  I just have to put up with it?  Great customer care....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

... and one more thing...

Sure, I'm not connecting via BT Broadband but...

I am authenticating with the SMTP server using my correct BT User name and Password so in theory it really should work.

The authentication passes so why won't the server let me go any further?

0 Ratings