cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Redliner
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

HH2 bt infinity and windows 8 Wifi does not have a valid ip configuration

Hello I bought windows 8 in January and upgraded an old Dell xps m1730 laptop, however after 4 or 5 months the laptop lost all it's wireless connection to the HH. I rang Bt help and eventually was told that it was a fault with my Laptop, after playing around with ip settings I eventually got the laptop to connect by using a static ip address in my list of IP's. Yesterday I bought a brand new laptop for my daughter, an HP Envy M6 i5, and during the setup process I entered my wireless details, and I could not believe it,there was the same message Wifi does not have a valid wifi configuration, i tried using ip config renew, flush, switched off the firewall,switched of the HomeHub and the Openreach boxes to no avail, i have now setup this pc using a static ip address. As like most people these days i have a lot of wifi devices in the house, including 3 Macbook's, iphone's,blackberry's, also a windows 7 pc, everything connects flawlessly, Just not Windows 8, Can you prompt me in the right direction to fix this problem?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: HH2 bt infinity and windows 8 Wifi does not have a valid ip configuration

0 Ratings
Redliner
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for the reply, but i had already checked out these options

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Am I correct in saying that you have got the HP Envy connected but you had to give it a static IP Address?

Are you using Windows wireless network connection or the one supplied by HP?

0 Ratings
Redliner
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

That is correct, 

0 Ratings
Redliner
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

sorry gg30340, i did not read your post correctly, i assumed i was using windows wireless network connection

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

That's a pity! I was going to suggest using the Windows connection rather than the HP one to see if it connected without problem.

I don't think there is a general problem with Windows 8 not connecting to Infinity otherwise I'm sure there would be more posts about it on this forum.

I usually suggest a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the red recess button for about 20 seconds to sort out configuration settings on the Hub but if you were to do this you would need to set up your fixed IP address again if it didn't sort the problem. It might be worth a try if you can be bothered.

Other than that I can't think what else to try for the moment. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

I have just "borrowed" my neighbours laptop, a Samsung, which has Windows 8 and it connected no problem to my Homehub 2. 

The HH2 is getting on a bit so one other thing to consider is to upgrade your Homehub to either a HH3 or HH4.  You can re contract and get one for free or purchase a HH4 for £35 + postage.

Redliner
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Thank you, I personally believe it is the HomeHub2 causing the problem, I will need to think long and hard about staying with BT as it was the call centre who told me that my 1st laptop was faulty, when reality is suggesting that it is BT's own equipment causing the problem

Thanks once again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

I wouldn't go to much on what the BT Help desk people say. They are usually following a script and can't deviate from it. If you are happy with the actual broadband service then stick with it and come to this forum with any problems. I can't guarantee they will be fixed but they more often than not are.  Present problem excepted!!

0 Ratings