Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paulus47
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

HH3, HH5 or Smart Hub for Infinity?

Go to solution

OK, I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered BT Infinity 2 which, I am told, will be activated a week from today.  I would however appreciate some opinions regarding the best set up.

At the moment I am using a Home Hub 3, which has given me no trouble at all since I’ve had it, but with the Infinity I am being sent a new Smart Hub. Although so-called expert reviews of this hub on the net are all very positive, the feedback from actual users seems generally to be very different.

If I wanted to carry on using the HH3, I would need an Openreach modem, but I don’t ideally want another piece of equipment. However if it is going to give me the most reliable connection, then I would get one.

Another alternative would be to acquire an HH5, but again this doesn’t seem to have the best of reviews from users.

For info, I use wireless for a laptop and a couple of tablets and I also have 500mbps powerline adapters connecting a TV and a computer in other rooms, which all work satisfactorily.

I suppose I could see first how I get on with the Smart Hub, but what would other people suggest? Does anyone actually like the Smart Hub and find it relatively trouble-free?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: HH3, HH5 or Smart Hub for Infinity?

Go to solution
Neither.

Get a decent third party bit of kit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Seconded. Do not under any circumstances pay for any type of hub. Least worst of your options is a separate Openreach modem with the Hub3.

0 Ratings
Paulus47
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Many thanks for your replies. I think I was more inclined to stick with the HH3, but I might look around for a different VDSL router - perhaps TP-Link (like my powerline adapters) or ASUS maybe. We'll see.
0 Ratings
Paulus47
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I have taken the advice offered on here and purchased a TP-Link VR600, which is (I hope) compatible with BT Infinity. I have the new router set up and it’s working fine on my existing ADSL connection.

I’ve received an email today advising me that a Smart Hub will be delivered tomorrow and that I should “set it up straight away so we can check it's working. If you're already using a BT Home Hub or another broadband router, you'll need to unplug it and use the new kit we're sending you instead.”

I’m not now planning to do any of this, but can you please confirm that I can happily disregard these instructions without causing problems on Infinity activation day (scheduled for Thursday)? Can I also just ask, so I know what to expect, should the VR600 pick up the new service automatically or will I need to alter any settings? Thanks.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Yes you can ignore connecting the Smarthub.

You may have to change the setting on the TP-Link to PPPoE when your connection changes to VDSL if the TP-Link does not change automatically.

0 Ratings
Paulus47
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks for that.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Might be just simpler to run through the quick setup wizard again when moved over to Infinity.

0 Ratings
Paulus47
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Latest on this. The Infinity service was activated as scheduled last Thursday in the morning.  The TP-Link VR600 picked up the new service automatically, but I had to re-enter the Username and Password. Once I had done that everything was working fine.

I used the computer fairly extensively on Thursday and Friday, but when I wanted to get online again this morning I found there was no Internet connection. I couldn’t see anything obvious so I called the BT helpdesk. The chap at the other end asked me to tell him what lights were showing on the BT router so he could help me, but when I confessed that I wasn’t using a BT router, he asked me to connect up the Smart Hub (which was still in its box). He told me that the router I was using was not compatible with BT Infinity (even though it had been working well for two days). Anyway, to humour him I did as he asked and everything started working again. When we had finished talking, I attached the TP-Link router again – no Internet.

So it looks as though the TP-Link has a fault. I was a bit concerned that it did seem to be running rather warm - I don’t know if that’s anything to do with the problem. Anyway I’m going to send it back. At the moment I’m using the Smart Hub, but I’ve no idea how long for.

I’ve read reviews of other third party routers and haven’t seen a single one where nobody has said it’s not a heap of junk. So right now I haven’t a clue which to buy. Several of the latest models don’t seem as reliable as previous versions from what people are saying.

As my old HH3 was trouble-free, I might just revert to plan A and get myself an Openreach modem for use when the Smart Hub (inevitably?) fails, even though it seems like a retrograde step.

0 Ratings