I'm new here - and I thought I'd give this forum a try after simply getting a message from BT support.
I've been on Infinity with an HH3 for a while (18 months?) and have recently (since Christmas) noticed a slowdown in wifi speed within the house.
The HH3 was set on Smart initially - so was allegedly selecting the least troublesome channel - but what appears to be the case is that I get what appears to be speed fade on a given channel. IE using the same kit in the same locations at a set time with the same apps running, I can initially get circa 20Mbps download speed from my laptop (two brick walls away from the HH). That's fine. But during the day the speed will fade, until 24 hours later the speed is down to <2Mbps. If I then change the channel, the speed immediately picks up again to be around the 20Mbps rate, and then drops off over 24 hours down to <2Mbps. So at the moment, I tend to test the speed at around 7am and cycle the channel between 1-6-11...1 manually (so day one on channel 1, day two to channel 6...etc).
The BT support basically said that it is down to the location of the HH and interference - but I must be being stupid, as I don't follow how that follows, given that the test is done from the same location (laptop - running same apps), with the HH not moving and at the same time of day with roughly the same internal and external competition (there are a couple of other local wifi networks that can be competing).
Has anyone else had a similar 'fade' type experience?
Welcome to this forum.
Have you tried all 13 channels?
Channel 13 often works well, as its not normally auto selected by routers.
Restricting yourself to Chan 1,6, or 12 is going to result in you clashing with other routers trying to do the same thing.
Have you tried a factory reset of the home hub?
Whenever there is a firmware upgrade, it seems that some config parameters are changed, which seem to cause problems.
The factory config should be the latest that belongs with the current firmware.
Sorry about the delay - I thought I'd retry channel 13 - so after your mail I changed the channel to 13 and got circa 20Mbps - and as usual, this morning I am now getting 1.59 Mbps. So the same on a completely free (although overlapping an inuse channel 11) channel.
No, I hadn't tried a reset. The firmware on the HH3 is the same as it was - and it appears not to have changed since August 2013 - so wouldn't having to reset the HH3 imply it has an inherent fault anyway?
I would still try a factory reset, its the only way to clear out any cached settings in the user configuration. A lot of stuff, like expired connections, gets stored in that file, and one of them might be affecting the wifi.
Thre could also be some corrupted or invalid values stored there.
Is the 'soft' reset the same as the hard reset, and do both then lose any settings on the HH3?
Do I then need to backup the settings first, reset, then connect via wire to restore 'my' settings?
It's interesting to know that someone else is experiencing the exact same issue.
In the last 2/3 weeks my wifi connection has become very poor and I'm using a BT HH3 too. The only way to improve it is to reset the hub itself.
We have 5 wireless devices and when this drop occurs 2 of our 5 devices cannot connect to the internet.
One was my laptop and the other was a Sky+ box. The laptop couldn't even gain an IP address from the hub and the Sky+ box couldn't connect. Possibly because the speed was too slow? It has to be at least 2Mbps.
When I connect directly to the hub when experiencing this problem the broadband speed is close to usual ~35Mbps.
When I connect wireless the speed drops to 1-2 Mbps. After reseting the hub I get 20Mbps.
I've been onto BT Tech Experts the last 2 days talking through stuff and I' getting a new hub sent out. But I wondered too if an update came out that was causing a drop in the wifi signal.
If any one has any ideas, please let me/us know. I'll keep you posted on how the new hub gets on.
"In the last 2/3 weeks my wifi connection has become very poor and I'm using a BT HH3 too. The only way to improve it is to reset the hub itself."
Yes me too. A daily restart is required but there seems to be two symptoms - one is a slow down of the internt conectnion speed, the other is that wifi connections have become unreliable. The environment has Macs (MBA x2), iphone, android phone a NAS and an Espon printer. The MBA no longer auto connect, the printer seems to disconnect daily and the android had a problem but it now seems OK. I also did a Reset and that resolved nothing. I've tried locking to a channel - no change in behaviour.
And then you try and contact BT - that chat thing goes nowhere, the BT Desktop Help doesnt run on Mavericks so finally wound up here. All in all it's a crock of sh*t.
I did initially go through the online chat but they couldn't help.
I'm pretty familar with computers and networking and if I wasn't then today I would be believing I needed a new laptop. At times I really had to 'reason' with them.
I would report it as a fault and request a new hub. I told them all the diagnostic I performed which were similar to your own.