cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 51 of 555

Re: HH3 - Infinity - Local WiFi Channel 'fade'?

GRAEME1873

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I will have to brace myself for the standard 1 hour call to India then. Either that or buy a Netgear N600.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 52 of 555

After reading all of this and many phone calls to non-UK based call centers and being told it was my issue I decided to switch provider. When I rang up BT to get my MAC code they asked me the issue. I explained the problems along with what I had read in this thread.

What I was offered was a new HH5 on a 18 month contract for £28 a month, a massive reduction of £1.46 a month which is a joke as it is being offered for £25 a month to new customers. Bit of a joke for loyal customers. When I mentioned this I was told they could discount it more but I would need to keep my HH3. Either way BT don't seem interested in keeping loyal customersand are just interested in new customers.

Good luck to you all in your quest for an answer with the HH3 problem

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 555

Quick update:

I eventually got round to speaking to technical support, but their response is basically leave it two weeks and if the problem persists ring back.  Initially they blamed it on increased trafiic and interference outside of BT's hands, which is just nonsense as why does every channel behave in exactly the same way.  Interestingly I was told that home hub 4 and home hub 5 have documented issues such as this, though none were recorded for home hub

I'm reluctant to have to fork out for a new home hub 5 from BT, so I'll probably just end up buying a new modem/router.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 54 of 555

This is definitely an issue that links back to the HH3. Whether it is hw or sw I'm not sure but I refused to pay when they suggested sending me HH3 for £50. They sent out a HH3 which has worked perfectly since. Presenting the evidence continuous drop outs which are only resolved by restarting or enabling/disabling the wifi on the hub and standing next to the hub should be enough. For me some devices couldn't even get a 192 ip address when you ran ipconfig. I eventually talked to BT experts on 08000321118 and it's not their Indian call centre who just read the manual. They will definitely try to convince you its your environment but persist. They will remote log in a look at setting and suggest changing channel or disabling the n capability and they do say if they change or fix a non BT problem they will charge £30. So don't let them if they try because there is nothing for them to do on your equipment.

Does anyone know how to get BT to take heed of these complaints from all over the country.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 55 of 555

Same wifi problems here since early January. Have had ok speed for the past 2 years or so (38Mbps). Have been trawling the net for solutions as I know from experience how unhelpful the helpdesk actually is. Have finally realised there is nothing I can do - the problem is with the homehub 3. I have sent BT an email in the hope that someone knowledgeable will read it...

As far as I can see, I am now paying for a service I'm not actually getting. Come on BT, please get this fixed as this has been going on for weeks!

I am considering changing providers as it sounds like BT have not yet come up with a solution and there seem to be better deals out there for new customers...

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 56 of 555

I've had the same problem for several weeks - WiFi speed dropping after several hours, can be resolved temporarily by restarting the HH3. Wired speed is normal. Tried online BT chat but they told me my line had a fault, despite me telling them that a wired speed test showed over 40Mbit/s. Needless to say their line check fixed nothing. I have since tried e-mailing and they suggested changing the WiFi channel - I had already told them that I had checked and found no competing networks and anyway the HH3 was obviously switching channels automatically as I had seen it on CH 1, 6 and 11 at different times. Anyhow, why would the speed be fine but eventually degrade?

After another e-mail exchange I was told that in order to deal with this "complex" problem they would need to set up an interactive session. Frankly I can't see what that would achieve, as I had already told them that restarting the HH3 fixes the problem temporarily but reluctantly agreed and gave them a time to call me (as they suggested). Needless to say nobody has called.

Having found this thread it has confirmed my own diagnosis that the fault lies with the HH3. I have done a factory reset to no avail and the firmware dates from 2013, so in theory hasn't changed recently. Hence I intend to press BT  for a replacement HH.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 57 of 555

Another one here who's just signed on to say I'm getting exactly the same problems with my HH3. Wasn't expecting to find that it was so many people and all at exactly the same time. The only additional bit that I noticed was when I turned the HH3 off over night the speed lasted longer the next day before dying off again (but still way less than a whole day). Does this tie in with an over-heating issue on the hub (which might align with the topic about poor capacitors)? Seems bizarre that it's all happening within a very narrow window though - I wonder if it was a batch that are all going wrong at the same time because I presume most people leave them running 24 x 7.

Anyway, now off to try and send an email to support and see if I get anywhere - don't have time to waste on the phone to an unhelpdesk.

A colleague has a spare HH5 that he's going to lend me (apparently BT made such a screw up of getting him signed up that he terminated the contract and they said they didn't want him to send it back - go figure).

Thanks

Tony

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 58 of 555

Just to let you know - I have been posting on here in earlier posts that I had been suffering these problems with the HH3. BT would not accept that the problem was with the hub. I bought a BT Homehub 4 last week from eBay and (touch wood) I have not had any problems since. The customer service from BT is shocking. I may not renew my service when it expires in June as a result of this.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 59 of 555

I have also been experiencing this "channel fade" and currently have BTCare (on Twitter) looking into it, although I doubt they will come up with anything.

I use the regular broadband package and normally get around 7.7mbps (before Christmas it was just around 8.8, so somehow overall it has dropped anyway) but by the time late evening arrives, I am getting about 3 to 4 and last week down to 2.

However, as other people have said, resetting or turning off the HH3 does the trick but I guess why should we have to do this, especially half-way through streaming catch-up TV or whatever else we are doing.

This week I will turn off my HH3 during the day and then turn it back on again in the evening; this may solve it until I hear back from BTCare.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 60 of 555

I had hoped to have an answer by now as I've had an open issue log entry with BT since this thread started, and after umpteen mails explaining the problem and pointing to others with the same issue here, their support team wanted a 'interactive session' (which turned out to mean that they wanted to speak on the phone) to clarify the issue. They asked when I would be available - and that date and time came and went without anything at all.

So still chasing - and in the meantime resetting the channel to itself (channel 5 is unused near me - typically 1 and 11 appear to be favourite - so I change from 5 to 1, and then back to 5 again - and hey presto speed picks up again - well for 24 hours or so anyway).

I find it a bit strange that BT techs don't monitor their own forum - but I suppose that is part of the 'service' nowadays, with 'service' actually being 'self service'.

0 Ratings