cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

HH3 Infinity wireless woes

Hi all, I've read in here of various problems with the above which was installed on Friday by a very helpful BT guy. My problem is that of 2 laptops (Toshiba/Samsung) the Sammy fails to make a reliable wireless connection. With the previous HH2b there was never any problem and the Sammy has been used in places outside the home without issue.

I've tried all the suggested ideas such as channel changes, even changing the security down one notch to WPA only, moving things around a bit, even turning off the TV as someone suggested! No joy at all. The HH2 connects fine every time, never had a problem with that but it cannot be used as the wireless access point of course (unless anyone can enlighten me on that?) but it still stands in as a hub.

So, is this a case of getting the HH3 replaced, will a new one be any better? Or get a USB dongle for the Sammy netbook?

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: HH3 Infinity wireless woes

did you also try changing from defauly b/g/n to just b/g?

when you changed channels did you use inssider2 to see which networks are round about you and the channels currently in use?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 10

@IanGame wrote:

Hi all, I've read in here of various problems with the above which was installed on Friday by a very helpful BT guy. My problem is that of 2 laptops (Toshiba/Samsung) the Sammy fails to make a reliable wireless connection. With the previous HH2b there was never any problem and the Sammy has been used in places outside the home without issue.

I've tried all the suggested ideas such as channel changes, even changing the security down one notch to WPA only, moving things around a bit, even turning off the TV as someone suggested! No joy at all. The HH2 connects fine every time, never had a problem with that but it cannot be used as the wireless access point of course (unless anyone can enlighten me on that?) but it still stands in as a hub.

Anything is possible check this out http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/repeaterhubswired.html this should solve the problem and you could disable the wireless on the HH3. Does it work....yes....have tested it using a HH2 and a 2700HGV.

So, is this a case of getting the HH3 replaced, will a new one be any better? Or get a USB dongle for the Sammy netbook?

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Hi yes thanks for that idea but I did try that without any success.I also used inssider2 to choose a quiet channel. Good app to use in future.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for this, I will try and let you know the success.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Right, I tried that from the link with no luck unfortunately. What I have as a set-up is this:

Infinity main socket has the modem and HH3 downstairs. I have a pair of Belkin Mains Ethernet adaptors one next ro the HH3 and the other upstairs next to the HH2. Cable of course between each Belkin and hub.

The HH2 has a wired PC, a XBox 360 and the Belkin adaptor. Before the changes in the linked article I could see the HH2 at it's static address xxx.250. The HH3 is left at xxx.254. The wired PC is fixed static IP xxx.66. When I make the HH2 turn off DHCP and look at the devices it says nothing is connected despite the fact the PC is and the Belkin kit as well. Is that correct? I did reset the HH2 from the web page perhaps a POPO is better?

Any ideas welcome.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 10

@IanGame wrote:

Right, I tried that from the link with no luck unfortunately. What I have as a set-up is this:

Infinity main socket has the modem and HH3 downstairs. I have a pair of Belkin Mains Ethernet adaptors one next ro the HH3 and the other upstairs next to the HH2. Cable of course between each Belkin and hub.

The HH2 has a wired PC, a XBox 360 and the Belkin adaptor. Before the changes in the linked article I could see the HH2 at it's static address xxx.250. The HH3 is left at xxx.254. The wired PC is fixed static IP xxx.66. When I make the HH2 turn off DHCP and look at the devices it says nothing is connected despite the fact the PC is and the Belkin kit as well. Is that correct? I did reset the HH2 from the web page perhaps a POPO is better?

Any ideas welcome.

No that's correct, the HH2 is acting as a switch/wap and as far as your internal network is concerned that's all it's doing, so the ip addresses and DNS resolution is being done by the HH3.

If you have disabled DHCP and the firewall on HH2 as per the link then that's fine, as I suggested you could turn off the wirelss on HH3 but enable the wireless on HH2 this should resolve the connection issues with your Samsung.

The wierd thing about this, is that the HH3 may see the wireless items which are conected via HH2 as connected via Ethernet, at least my 2700 does.

If you have followed the instructions in the link and it's all working that's Ok, logging into the HH2 under Home Network may see items connected to it as unrecognised, again that's Ok because it cannot resolve the DNS name, but if you check the MAC address to your connections, i.e. PC Xbox then you'll see what's connected.

Whatever you do you must disable DHCP and the firewall on HH2 otherwise you'll experience ip address conflicts and NAT issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

OK just a quick update. Tried as suggested and found no joy again. I will have a think and re-arrange the hubs (basically remove HH2 and put HH3 upstairs in it's place). Failing that I will think about an access point or new router. I appreciate the assistance given as well.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

@IanGame wrote:

There is nothing wrong with your set up above

The HH2 has a wired PC, a XBox 360 and the Belkin adaptor. Before the changes in the linked article I could see the HH2 at it's static address xxx.250.

The HH2 should of been on 192.168.1.254 not 192.168.1.250

The HH3 is left at xxx.254. The wired PC is fixed static IP xxx.66. When I make the HH2 turn off DHCP and look at the devices it says nothing is connected despite the fact the PC is and the Belkin kit as well.

Are you turning DHCP off before you make a connection? You should

Is that correct? I did reset the HH2 from the web page perhaps a POPO is better?

Any ideas welcome.

Disconnect all devices, switch the hub2 off, delete any saved hub2 connections on your devices, switch the hub2 on with nothing connected, factory reset it - press the little red button for 15 seconds until the lights go off, allow it to reboot, connect one PC/Laptop by ethernet, follow the instructions again under the heading "Set up Slave Hub (Version 2.0 hubs)" - try 192.168.1.175 - I'm using it.

Then connect the belkins, all other devices and now see if it works

note: devices that are connected by wireless on the hub2 will be seen as being connected by ethernet on the hub3 as the connection between hubs is via etheretSmiley Wink

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I am just browsing and I have no experience with HH3 or Inifinity. I have HH2 and from my experience my Ethernet adapters (when I use them every now and again) require DHCP, so on my hub I have DHCP on but restrict it to ....230 - 237. The rest of my network (up to 30 devices) is static.

Just a thought, Andy.

... and don't forget nmap is your essential friend in all things network!

0 Ratings