My broadband is due to be upgraded to infinity tomorrow, but as the HH3 turned up a few days early and had an ADSL port I thought I'd get it setup with my own settings.
I've had several issues with my newer laptops connecting over wireless, but alls fine with older devices. At first I put it down to the 'Smart Wireless' feature, it had moved to channel 1 (which I've had problems with before) so I moved it to channel 11 and all was fine. This didn't stop the problems and I've had to reboot the HH3 to get the laptops connected again, then after a period of time they drop the connection. I suspect that it's related to b/g/n issues, the 2 newer laptops are 802.11n whereas all of the devices that stay connected are 802.11b or 802.11g.
I've now changed the HH3 to be 802.11 b/g to see if this is more reliable - it has seriously reduced the throughput to the laptops (as expected).
Is this a faulty HH3 or a firmware bug (I'm also suffering from port forwarding not working, but reading on these forums seems to show this is firmware issue)
Solved! Go to Solution.
That doesn't seem to tally with my experience, with the HH3 set to '802.11 b/g' I get around 1.8MB/s copying a file from my NAS to my laptop via wireless, with the HH3 set to '802.11 b/g/n (Recommended)' I get around 5.7 MB/s copying the same file with the laptop in the same position.
But why do the laptops drop their connection when the HH3 is set to '802.11 b/g/n (Recommended)' - it must be something to do with the HH3 as it worked fine on the HH2.
Tillypup I agree there is something wrong with teh HH3 as I am having sort of a similar problem, one of my desktop pcs has a loop of disconnecting and reconnecting it is an endless loop. My 2 xboxes have problems connecting to my server aswell. These problems don't occur with the HH2 which I am using at the moment, as the HH3 is too much trouble to mess on with. See I thik that if people don't have infinity and have a HH2 that worked fine then they should go back to using it
This HH3 is driving me mad and I've now swapped back to the HH2.
With the hub set to b/g only I've had one laptop connected via wireless all day, as soon as other wireless devices came home (Blackberrys) it disconnected the laptop, had to reboot the hub to get connected again. Then when another laptop was turned on which is also N capable, the first laptop was disconnected and the second wasn't able to connect. Reboot of hub required.
With both laptops connected, turning on a wifi kindle caused both laptops to disconnect.
Whenever the laptops disconnect, all of the other only b/g devices can still connect fine, but the only way to get the laptops back is to reboot the hub.
Real dilema now, I've got the infinity install scheduled for the morning, but what use is it if I can't stay connected to the hub.
Any ideas? Is anybody else suffering similarly with the HH3? I don't have any issues with the HH2.
Ok, had the infinity upgrade, only option is HH3 now, hope it works better with an ethernet connection rather than the ADSL one!
HH3 is still disconnecting the n capable devices - found this link on one of the other forums on setting the HH2 up as an access point - http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/repeaterhubswired.html - must say works a treat. I've setup a second WIFI network on the HH2 and moved all of the N capable devices to use it, seems to run at n speeds and all connecting fine, will let you know if I get any disconnects now.
As an aside - the top of my fridge is now pretty full, HH3, HH2, gigabit switch, Synology NAS - but at least all works fine and infinty speeds are great.
Well at least you got somewhere with the HH3 although it wasn't what you wanted. Really I think its stupid that you have to add the HH2 when the HH3 should have done it already.
I have also done this with 2 netgear routers I didn't know you could use the HH routers.