cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

HH3 Wireless speed drops but ethernet remains fast

Hi, I'ven been experiencing random drops in my wifi speed on HH3, what is going on please?

My set up is as follows. I have a PC, primarily used for gaming which I have connected directly using a RJ45 cable into the wireless hub, my laptop and smartphone use the wireless connection.

This is the speed results of my PC (ethernet).

PC Speed

This is the speed result of my laptop (wireless) and other wireless devices.

Laptop Wireless

I've gone into my the HH3 settings, restarted the router, reset to factory defaults, changed the channel to manual,  changed the interface type to 802.11 b/g/n 40mhz but the problems still persist daily!

Settings

Any ideas or do I have a dough HH3 wireless router?

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: HH3 Wireless speed drops but ethernet remains fast

While it's unlikely that anybody near to you would notice your Homehub SSid (name)  on this forum but if they did they would be able to access your home network because you have shown SSid and the wireless passkey in the screen print of your Homehub management page. I suggest that you delete screen print. It offers no useful information regarding your problem.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 25

I just found this http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2013/01/what-wifi-channel/3840

• WiFi “g” or “n” (802.11g/n) uses nominally a 20MHz channel width, suggesting the use of channels 1, 5, 9 and 13
  • WiFi “n” (802.11n) can use a 40MHz channel width, that then suggests the use of channels 3 and 11 to maximize use of the 2.4GHz band.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
robins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 25

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried every channel but unfortunately my wireless speed still drops very low.

I wonder if it's to do with BT wifi fon? I've opted out about an hour ago.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 25

I suggest you try a factory reset of the hub
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factory-...

Oh, you did that already

Probably get a new hub

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
robins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 25

Yup, done a factory reset twice, still no luck.

0 Ratings
stevetucknott
Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Robins,
See the earlier HH3 Channel Fade thread. Looks like we're in the same boat. I get decent wifi speeds (circa 20Mbps) initially after selecting a new channel, but that then fades to <2Mbps after 24 hours. Seems to happen here on a regular basis (typically over a 24 hour period).
0 Ratings
robins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 25

Yes, it drops for me too generally within a few hours.

After doing some searches on the internet, it appears to be a problem for other people too.

Have BT officially acknowledged this problem of wireless speed drops or one they just would rather sweep under the carpet?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

You could try and get a replacement Homehub from BT but my advice would be to spend a few pounds on a third party router and use that. Virtually all the named brand routers will out perform the Homehub. Decent routers cost about £20 upwards.

If you do decide to to that just make sure that the router you buy has a WAN port so that it can connect to the Openreach modem.

If you are prepared to spend upto £70 you could get a single VDSL modem/router that would replace the Openreach modem and Homehub and again will out perform the Homehub on all counts.

0 Ratings
mrfulf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 25

I too have a HH3 about 2 years old which recently dropping wifi speed over a few hours from abt 36 mbps to anything to under 1 upto 4 mbps.  A restart will resolve it for a few hours again.  The wired connection to computer and BT box always steady at abt 37 mbps.  Probably need a new router.

If I changed to a third party router then presumably I would lose the free wifi access away from home even though I remain a BT customer?

Can anybody enlighten me on this - thanks.

0 Ratings