cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
meathane
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

HH3 closes ports, stops sharing? Other devices not seen...

i have an issue with my network at home. once every few days, the homehub3 stops showing other devices on the network. i use a mac every day, and when it's working fine i'll see various shares on my network (in the sidebar of the finder): other macs, the SMB windows share on my XBMCLive ubuntu machine, and the 'bthub3' which i guess is the usb port on the router (?), all ok.

but occasionally, those options will not show. the problem then arrises that i cannot connect via SSH to the XBMCLive machine, the other XBMC machine downstairs can then not see the media it wants to play as it's all stored on the main XBMCLive machine, Transmission server stops, Squeezebox servers, everything grinds to a halt. If i log into the HH3 settings and restart the device (or if i restart it manually), everything goes back to normal. i don't know much about Ubuntu, but i'm confident it's a HH3 network setting somewhere (never had the issue with my old sky router and the same gear, albeit it the XBMCLive machine was ethernet'd in). when the HH3 appears to close all these ports and stops sharing, all the computers are still connected via the WiFi, and can still sucessfully manage to browse the web, YouTube etc.

i realise this may be quite specific, and don't really expect a reply, but is anyone else having these issues?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: HH3 closes ports, stops sharing? Other devices not seen...

Hi there is a firmware upgrade around to do an ubuntu fix being downloaded over the next weeks in batches but at this time I am not sure if it is HH 2 or HH 3 or both Hope that may help a little
0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 3 of 13

Hi,

You could use your your sky router, Netgear? and flash it with a different firmware.

There are a number on threads on here regarding HH3 and WIFI connectivity, what I would try to start with is to physically map network shares, now this wont be a solution for xbmc so using a static ip address on the network storage might help, then pointing the xbmc box to the ip address rather than the dns name.

I lose iPhones, they come up as connected but dont show sometimes under the Hubs Home Network tab, so I've given up troubleshooting.

0 Ratings
meathane
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

i actually tried to flash the old netgear sky router, but ended up with what appeared to be a dead router. everything on my network has a reserved IP address, which makes things easier when i want another machine to point back to the XBMCLive box that has all the media. i guess it doesnt explain why the bthub3 option also disappears. what is that bthub3 shared option anyway? am i right in think it's if i have a drive in the USB port? if i turned off all my XBMC smb shares and linux machines, that bthub3 would still disappear, which is why i think it's the router messing things up, not the linux machine/share

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 5 of 13

Smiley Happy Ok I'm trying to my head around what you're trying to explain.

What's the Netgear router...model and version as you maybe able if you haven't already done so to use DGTeam firmware if it can be be found.

Ok what you mean by a reserved ip is telling the Hub to 'Always use the same IP Address'....thats dynamic, and most of the time that works, but with what you are experiencing a static ip might be better.....that means assigning an ip address to a machine.....but that cant be done to an EXT HDD attached to the Hub, at least I don't think it can....

I have a Linux box with shares that are 'mapped' to my windows machine....in other words the shares are visible under my computer on the windows box.....rather than looking under the network option....so I don't have to browse the network to find them they are always there....

0 Ratings
meathane
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

i have assigned specific IP addresses to each computer from within the homehub's settings. so for example my mac is set on DHCP but it only ever gets the same IP because that's all the router allows it to do. the media too that i share is just on a usb drive attached to the linux XBMCLive machine, so it doesnt have a specific IP address itself, but the XBMC machine it's attached too does, so it's always easy to find.

the router is getting worse, i used to have to reboot once a week, now it's at least once a day, sometimes twice. is there a way to set the router to reboot itself at say 6am daily?

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 7 of 13

Ok, I think I'm getting a handle on this...Smiley Happy

Sorry to be a pain, but if would help if you could list what you have on your network and how its connected;

i.e. XBMC ethernet to Hub

Mac 1 wifi etc......it would just help get an idea of what might be going on, and the solution just might be similar to an thread in infinity, as I also believe the issue is surrounding the Hub. 

0 Ratings
meathane
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

no problem. permentantly on and therefore connected to the hh3 all the time are:

XBMCLive (ubuntu) Acer Revo (802.11g)

O2 Joggler (g)

1st gen AppleTV (n)

Airport Express (n) ethernet'd into an XBox 360 (the xbox is rarely on, but the ApExp wiould still be connected)

along with:

iPhone 3GS always on but only connected when not in sleep mode (g)

MacBook Air, often on, (n)

iMac, rarely on (n)

Kindle rarely connected, (g)

PS3 fat, rarely on (g)

Wii, WiiConnect24 turned off, so rarely on (g)

PSP Go, rarely on, (b)

3DS, StreetPass wireless thing turned off, so rarely on (g)

what i find really odd is when i cant SSH into the Revo XBMCLive machine, the Revo is still online. It appears on the hh3 settings pages etc, and youtube still works, but any network based stuff stops working on it (ie the iPhone remote apps to control fail to connect, the Transmisison server, the SqueezeBox Server etc)

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 9 of 13

Thanks.....by what you have posted everything is wireless....Smiley Surprised and in respect of the Air Port express have you turned off the wireless on the HH3, taking all that into account it would be like paddling against the tide. Smiley Wink

What you really need to to do is to have your core network on Ethernet, e.g. XBMC, Tv, in fact anything that is feasible to hard wire is the best option.....and do that through a switch (small Ethernet hub) and take out the Airport Express unless you've disabled the wireless setting on the Hub.

There are currently some issues surrounding Linux and wireless connectivity, although I have installed Ubuntu on a 5 year old laptop and it's connected wirelessly and so far, except for the signal strength, it's ok.

0 Ratings
meathane
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

i appreciate what you're saying, but i mean, what year are we in? apple introduced wireless into their computers (iBookG3 i think) over 10 years ago, and here we are in 2011 saying 'yeah we should probably wire everything'. what is going on? i don't want to sound like a **bleep**, and truely i appreciate all the help, but wiring it is not an option, and i refuse to settle for it as it's not good enough. it's so frustrating how unreliable the whole thing is.

Also the ApExpress doesnt appear with it's own SSID, it's bridged wirelessly to the hh3, and ethernet'd into the xbox, so basically the xbox can get onto xbox live without wiring it in to the hh3 downstairs or buying the overpriced adapter.

it's def got worse, so i dont know if there's been a subtle update over the last month or something. maybe it'll sort itself out, or go back to being broken once a week instead of once a day

0 Ratings