cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BarnyG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

HH4 & SSID

Set up on Infiniy2 this morning & I am well impressed, hope it continues.

Couple of issues with HH4 however. 

I'm trying to change the broadcast name from the default. Why BT insist on the same for both I don't know.

If I change the 5G band to Myname-5g then it does not show up as an available connection. Using WiFi analyzer, nothing shows up in 5G.

In the home hub manager it shows as ok but no devices connected.

I've reset to defaults and all ok again.

As an aside I assume that if both ID's are the same, any device will connect at the best speed. i.e. 5g will connect @ 5g & 2.5 @ 2.5.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: HH4 & SSID

did you try the ssid without the hyphen?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
BarnyG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the quick reply.

No. This wasn't an issue with my last router.

Will give it a try.

0 Ratings
BarnyG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for that - worked a dream. Easy when you know how Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
db218
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

SSID's are defined to be unto 32 alphanumeric characters, so hyphens, underscore and other punctuation are not allowed.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@db218 wrote:
SSID's are defined to be unto 32 alphanumeric characters, so hyphens, underscore and other punctuation are not allowed.

Another one I am confused about, must be an age thing. How come the BT homehub ones start BTHomehub3-xxxx. If you can't use hyphens how to they use a hyphen after the BTHomehub3

0 Ratings
db218
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

There are always exceptions to any rule, the hyphen is probably the only punctuation character allowed.

The length of 32 characters has only been the limit since 2013, it was shorter, it has to be embedded in the MAC header block.

You would have to search in the 802.11 spec downloadable from standards.ieee.org for exact details. Several versions are available, including the 1999, 2007 and 2010 versions.

0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 8 of 8

as far as i know the hh3 can use hyphens in the ssid but the hh4 cannot, no idea why they changed that but they did

0 Ratings