Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheSubmit
Beginner
Message 1 of 24

HH4 has suddenly slowed down and always dropping connection

Go to solution

Hi guys I need your help before deciding on bringing the engineer round and paying BT'ss ridiculous fee!. We have the HH4 pay for 39Mbs download and indeed we were getting those speeds since day one when connected through the ethernet or close to the router. But from two months ago now it has suddently dropped to 17Mbs on both ethernet and Wi-Fi and the connection keeps dropping. I have restarted the router many times, switched off smart setup and split the two networks 2.4ghz and 5ghz but I am still getting the same speeds of 17mbs maxium.

One thing to note is that we have a tennant downstairs in our spare living room that we converted and she had installed her own sky+broadband without our knowledge, so would that have any effect on anything?

I have spoken to BT and have followed all the steps they told me to do but still of little or no avail.

We are out of contract with BT and I want to upgrade to Infinity 2 with the max speeds(I want to use my own router too for better range) but I'm scared that I will be affected by whatever is causing loss of speed right now.

Any experts out there that can help?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: HH4 has suddenly slowed down and always dropping connection

Go to solution

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
john16
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

They have already mentioned they have a HH4.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

So they have.

@TheSubmitLine stats won't be available to you as they are in the locked Openreach modem but please post the other information requested. Is there any noise on the line with a quiet line test on 17070

0 Ratings
TheSubmit
Beginner
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Here are my stats, checker results and speedtest.sc.pngspeed test.png

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068341+NQ32445061
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.32 (Type A) Last updated 29/09/16
4. Board version:BT Hub 4A
5. WAN:PPP Connected
6. Data sent/received:1.5 GB / 14.4 GB
7. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
8. BT Wi-fi:Yes
9. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub4-C2PN
10. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
11. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA and WPA2
12. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

Unfortunately the stats of interest are not available as they are held by the locked modem. Is the modem connected to the master socket or an extension? If the master, can you repeat the speedtest with the modem connected directly to the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket with a new filter. Did you try the quiet line test?

0 Ratings
TheSubmit
Beginner
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

I'm not sure if I can post pictures like this here (remove them if I can't moderators) but here is what the modem is conneted to as I am quite a novice at all this. I can remove the faceplate but the modem is connected to the one on top which I cannot remove and the phoneline is connected to the one at the bottom which I can remove.

Modem

IMG_1450.JPG

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

If you remove the bottom faceplate where the phone is plugged in, there should be a test socket behind it. Plug a filter into the test socket and the modem into the filter and then re-run the speedtest.

0 Ratings
TheSubmit
Beginner
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

OK, I have done that now, these are the results:

results2.png

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

Can you carry out the further diagnostics  test section of the speedtester and post the results please.

0 Ratings