cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twynne
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

HH5: Apple / iOS devices can't always see 5ghz network

Have recently gone back to using the HH5 with Infinity service, but finding that many of my iOS devices will *sometimes* fail to detect the 5ghz network.  I've intentionally named the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks differently so that I can control which devices connect to which.  This broadly works fine, but both an iPad Mini 2 and an iPhone 6+ will at random refuse to see the 5ghz network.  If I restart the Home Hub the network again appears.

I've already disabled the 'smart setup' option based on another post in the community, and I've manually adjusted the DHCP lease time to the maximum (21 days) hoping that it might be a problem with DHCP addresses renewing.  Sadly that has made no difference.  Also both 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks are set to 'smart' channel selection.  I can connect to both from a laptop without issue, and Wifi Explorer can see both networks with approx 75% and 45% signal strength, respectively.

Has anyone else experienced similar and/or know of any settings that might address this?  

For reference, my HH reports the following:

2. Serial number:+068343+NQ34653453
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated 03/04/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: HH5: Apple / iOS devices can't always see 5ghz network

The range at 5GHz is much shorter, so maybe that is the issue?

0 Ratings
twynne
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Possibly, though disproven by the fact that both devices have been connected to the 5ghz network and tested at full bandwidth from the same location previously, and also another device (laptop) connects to the 5ghz network without issue at the time the iOS devices don't detect the network.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Though this may well be a HH problem it could equally be an Apple one. Though I have no problems with iPads and iPhones in the house I often can't see them as connected items in the HH settings (HH2) and the only way to get them to show again is to reset the HH.

Bear in mind also the the antenna in a laptop will likely be much longer than in the iPhone or iPad so may well get a signal when others won't, have you tried moving close to the HH to get them to connect and if so does this work?
0 Ratings
twynne
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

When the issue occurs, standing directly in front of the router with no obstructions the 5ghz network is not visible.

0 Ratings