Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RDavies
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

HH5 Constant Connection drops

Go to solution

Hi

I'm also experiencing broadband connection dropouts on a frequent (several times a day) basis. I'm on a HH5, firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A). Infinity 2.

I've had occasional dropouts since getting Infinity approx 18mths ago, but these have become much more frquent recently, over approx the last month or so. Dropouts occur at least daily, more usually every few hourse or so, and sometimes every few minutes. Earlier today,  I had 3 dropout / reconnections in the space of 20minutes. When teh connection drops, teh HH5 orange light blinks and the connection takes 1-3mins to reestablish.

I noticed that my line access speed changed from 40ish Mb to around 70Mb a couple of months ago; the connection dropouts started to get more frequent around then. When the connection is up, I usually get good speeds - around 52Mb as per online speedtesters.

I've tried the 17070 option 2 noise test and there's no noise. I've also plugged the HH5 directly into the master socket via a filter and the  connection lasted approx 5 mins before dropping again.

I've read the speculation about the recent f/w upgrade causing the issue - my connection problem also started around this time, but I can't pin it to that specific date.

Am at my wits end with this. Am prepared to buy a 3rd party hub if that will solve the issue, but I'm not clear whether this is the cause. I've reported this via the BT site numerous times but the fault just gets logged as fixed after 10 days or so, even though no one's contacted me & the fault remains. I wonder if someone could look into this for me.

Many thx

A recent helpdesk report from the HH5:

1. Product name:

BT Home Hub

2. Serial number:

+068543+NQ55133809

3. Firmware version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 13/07/17

4. Board version:

BT Hub 5A

5. DSL uptime:

0 days, 00:05:58

6. Data rate:

19136 / 69849

7. Maximum data rate:

20886 / 71464

8. Noise margin:

6.4 / 2.8

9. Line attenuation:

22.6 / 16.5

10. Signal attenuation:

22.4 / 16.5

11. Data sent/received:

850.8 MB / 26.9 GB

12. Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

13. BT Wi-fi:

No

14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:

Disabled

16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:

18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:

Disabled

20. 5 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

22. Firewall:

23. MAC Address:

24. Modulation:

G.993.2 Annex B

25. Software variant:

AA

26. Boot loader:

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
GDavies
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: HH5 Constant Connection drops

Go to solution

You seem to be having the same problem as me, net has been fine for several years and only just started to disconnect daily after the recent hub update. Although I haven't experienced several drops within a short space of time like you. It has only dropped 2x in the space of 12hours about 2 times now. There are some days that the connection will last over 24 hours but will still reset at around 27-28 hours. 

I also tried the master socket and did not manage to stay connected for long, so I put faceplate back on and the connection is stable, but I am close to approaching the 24hour mark so I am expecting another drop soon.

I can see that your noise margin is low in the downstream whereas it is at the standard 6.0... for upstream, this is also the same for me, so I believe that those who have SNR margins defaulted to 6.0/3.0 experience drops more frequently than those at 6.0/6.0. 

Sorry I am not experienced enough to finding a solution for this problem, but you are not the only one suffering!. 

0 Ratings
RDavies
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. It does sound like a number of users started having issues around the f/w update period, but hard to say from an individual users perspective whether there's a link with the update or not.

Interesting re the Noise Margin figures; right now they're showing as 5.9 / 3.7, so seems they can vary a bit. Will keep this thread up to date as & when things progress...

0 Ratings
lv3saiyan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Are you guys have disconnection overall even with LAN cable or is it WIFI only?

0 Ratings
RDavies
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

It's the DSL connection (ie, the broadband connection to the exchange) that drops. Nothing to do with wifi or ethernet. I don't actually have wifi enabled on on the HH5.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @RDavies and welcome.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the connection dropping. I'll be happy to take a look at that for you if you wish. Just drop me over an email with your details. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
RDavies
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hi David

Many thx for your offer. I've sent you my details via the link.

Rachael

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@RDavies I called there but missed you. I've checked your connection and it appears that your connection has been dropping out long before the firmware updated and they have increased when DLM reduced the target SNR to 3db which has resulted in a lot more errors on the line.

I've made some adjustments to try and stabilise your connection, these can take up to 24 hours to take affect and I'll get back in touch with you on Friday.  

RDavies
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Neil

Got your message. Many thanks for looking into this.

Will keep fingers crossed!

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @RDavies,

I gave your mobile number a quick call, I'm sorry that I didn't get speaking to you. The reason for my call was to see how things are with your connection? I've run a few checks on your line, I can see that your current session has been active for nearly 3 days, with no drop outs reported during that time.

How are things at your end? If you're still experiencing issue with your connection, please get back to me.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings