cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Casterina
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

HH5 DHCP or static IP?

I have the HH5 Type B router with my Amazon Fire TV and computer connected via ethernet and smartphones and tablets connected via wireless so I'm wondering is it best to use DHCP or static IP address?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: HH5 DHCP or static IP?

For non-roaming devices, its best to give them static IP adresses outside of the DHCP range, and just use DHCP for roaming devices that connect to other networks as well.

You can set your computer to static IP address, and you may be able to do the same for the Fire TV, provided you can access the configuration settings.

You can use any static IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63.

Default gateway and DNS will have to be 192.168.1.254.

0 Ratings
Casterina
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

So it's best to give static IP addresses to ethernet devices and DHCP for wireless devices? 

Also, for DHCP devices, do I need to enable Always use this IP address option on the HH5 or is that only for static IP?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

You are making the common mistake that many make. A static address is set on the device itself, not on the hub. The option to 'Always use this address' is address reservation but in their infinite wisdom it is referred to as 'Static' addressing by BT hubs.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@Casterina wrote:

So it's best to give static IP addresses to ethernet devices and DHCP for wireless devices? 

Also, for DHCP devices, do I need to enable Always use this IP address option on the HH5 or is that only for static IP?

You can set the address on wireless devices, if they are only going to be used at home, and there is an option to do it on the device itself. All static IP addresses should be set on the device itself.

Always use this IP address is not the same as setting a static IP address, and is not really very reliable anyway. It only tries to reserve an IP address allocated by DHCP, but its not the way to allocate static IP addresses.

Casterina
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

I have set a static IP outside the DHCP range on the Amazon Fire TV and on my computer via the network adapter settings and smartphones and tablets connected via wireless are using DHCP with Always use this IP address setting, is this set up correct?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

No need to use that "always use this IP address" option at all, as it serves no purpose, and could cause issues later.

0 Ratings
Casterina
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Without the Always use this IP address option, will the DHCP give out the same IP address to the devices that is connected via wireless?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

It will until the DHCP lease time expires and if the device does not renew it. The IP address is then available to another device.

Is there any reason why you wanted to use static IP addresses on your local network?

0 Ratings