cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

HH5 Drops connection like every 5 minutes

So my village just got fibre, so we bought it and had it installed today.

Problem is, when I seem to to do aything on the internet on my PC (Wired through ethernet) the connection times out, orange lights flash on the hub and then it reconnects after like 2 minutes. How the hell do I fix this? We payed good money for this and its worse than our old internet. I read that it's something about firmware or something on the hub (im not technical)

Any help would be great !

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: HH5 Drops connection like every 5 minutes

was it self install or an engineer visit?

are you using the test socket or do you have a SSFP like this  fibre SSFP.jpg

did you turn off smart setup   http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

is there any noise on quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

can you go to hub manager 192.168.1.254 then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Since the Original Poster said he wasn't technical a little more wording may help - Having just helped out a non computing but literate neighbour it is amazing what we take as 'basic knowledge' that can be very confusing for others.

It's unlikely to be anything to do with Firmware - but could indicate either line problems or a problem (faulty) HH5 unit.

-

If you had an engineer install then re-contact BT and have an engineer return and make sure everything is ok and stable (BT do use a lot of subcontractors who in my opinion are a bit sloppy and just slap things in without checking everything works).

It is BTs responsibility to get everything working if you have an engineer installation.

-

If you installed it yourself then as per imjolly we would need further info.

First I'd do the noise check - dial 17070 and select option 2 - this should be done from a phone with a cord connected directly to the master socket - if you hear any noise or crackling 'pop' sounds on the line report this to BT as a 'telephone fault' << don't mention the broadband bit and once your line fault has been repaired hopefully your broadband problem will have dissapeared too.

-

(not sure what is to be gained by using/not using smart setup imjolly << tbh I don't use the HH5 anymore it was er... unsuitable for my needs 🙂

-

In your web browser if you type in 192.168.1.254 then goto the  troubleshooting page then helpdesk and copy and post here the lines 1-12 this will help people diagnose a potential problem (you will need the password from the card on the back of the hub for this).

Apologies to imjolly (since this is just a re-write of his post) but having just dealt with this I've realised how easy it is to oversimplify IT.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@blinkinlight wrote:

Since the Original Poster said he wasn't technical a little more wording may help - Having just helped out a non computing but literate neighbour it is amazing what we take as 'basic knowledge' that can be very confusing for others. Very valid point and if you are not assuming knowledge perhaps you should explain more in your post the points that I have raised.

It's unlikely to be anything to do with Firmware (what is firmware?)- but could indicate either line problems or a problem (faulty) HH5 unit.

-

If you had an engineer install then re-contact BT and have an engineer return and make sure everything is ok and stable (BT do use a lot of subcontractors who in my opinion are a bit sloppy and just slap things in without checking everything works).

It is BTs responsibility to get everything working if you have an engineer installation.

-

If you installed it yourself then as per imjolly we would need further info.

First I'd do the noise check - dial 17070 and select option 2 - this should be done from a phone with a cord connected directly to the master socket (What and how do you connect to the "master socket")- if you hear any noise or crackling 'pop' sounds on the line report this to BT as a 'telephone fault' << don't mention the broadband bit (why not, it is my broadband that is not working) and once your line fault has been repaired hopefully your broadband problem will have dissapeared too.

-

(not sure what is to be gained by using/not using smart setup imjolly << tbh I don't use the HH5 anymore it was er... unsuitable for my needs 🙂 Smart set up causes problems with devices that do not automatically open a web browser when they connect to the Homehub. By not doing this the user of the device is unable to deselect the option that the Homehub offers them through the browser page that opens.

-

In your web browser if you type in 192.168.1.254 (where about in the webbrowser) then goto the  troubleshooting page (how do you find that) then helpdesk (how do you find that) and copy and post here the lines 1-12 this will help people diagnose a potential problem (you will need the password (which password is it the admin one or the wireless passkey) from the card on the back of the hub for this).

Apologies to imjolly (since this is just a re-write of his post) but having just dealt with this I've realised how easy it is to oversimplify IT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

you could always just read the technical glossy at the head of the board by jac_95

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.