cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

HH5 Gateway setting

I am using a spare HH5 as a wireless access point but the problem is that I have two internet gateways, the HH5 is deciding to use the wrong gateway and I cannot find any way of setting it through the configuration menu.

The HH5 is routing through 192.168.1.244 rather than 192.168.1.254 which is my preffered routing see diagram.

Anyone any idea on this?

Thanks

hh5.png

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: HH5 Gateway setting

I wouldn't expect there to be any real level of traffic from the HH5. Where's it trying to connect to?

If the HH5 is acting as a wireless AP it will simply be bridging traffic from the wireless clients to the wired LAN. It is their traffic that you need to go via the gateway using the .254 address, which it should assuming they use the .254 address as their default gateway.

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

@slogger wrote:

I am using a spare HH5 as a wireless access point but the problem is that I have two internet gateways, the HH5 is deciding to use the wrong gateway and I cannot find any way of setting it through the configuration menu.

The HH5 is routing through 192.168.1.244 rather than 192.168.1.254 which is my preffered routing see diagram.

Anyone any idea on this?

Thanks

hh5.png

Are you sure you don't mean 254 rather than 244, i.e 244 is your preferred route. The HH5 is hard wired to use 192.168.1.254 as a gateway and can't be changed, if you haven't disabled DHCP on the hub, it will also be allocating 192.168.1.254 as the gateway to connected clients.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

The HH5 is certainly not hardwired to use .254 as the gateway, it is currently using 244. I am able to change badly named "Hub IP Gateway Address" to 192.168.1.8 , but this is the local IP address of the HH5 device and not that of the next upstream gateway (ie the real gateway on to the internet)

The point here is that any wireless clients connected to the HH5 are routed through (Router at) 192.168.1.244 whereas I want them to go out through the router as 192.168.1.254 - 2 phone lines, two broadband services

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

To use the HH5 as wireless AP, the simplest method is to disable DHCP on the hub, give it an address of 192.168.1.244 and give your router an address of 192.168.1.254 and connect the 2 devices LAN port to LAN port. That way if the hub does originate any traffic (can't see why it would) then it will route correctly.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Look at the diagram - the north side of the HH5 is connecting to a gateway automatically without me being able to specify which one.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

You can't have 2 gateways on the same subnet, you also haven't specified what the physical connections are and where the DHCP servers are set.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

@slogger wrote:

The point here is that any wireless clients connected to the HH5 are routed through (Router at) 192.168.1.244 whereas I want them to go out through the router as 192.168.1.254 - 2 phone lines, two broadband services

As I said above, the clients will use the default gateway they're instructed to use within the DHCP offer from the DHCP server. Who is the DHCP server in this setup?

Regards 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

To expand a bit and try to explain what I'm trying to do. I have a TP_Link router which I am also using as a WAP - on the TP_Link DHCP setup page I can set the default gateway for the 'north' side - this is what I am apparently unable to do with the HH5

hh51.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

So where does the .244 address come from?

Also how do you control which DHCP server, the TP-Link or the HH5, allocates the address? Both will receive a DHCP Discover to which both will send a DHCP Offer. In the DHCP Offer presumably the TP-Link will give .254 as the default gateway address, but I'm not sure what the HH will give as the default gateway address. I'm guessing it would be .8, but I've always disabled DHCP on HH when I've used them as AP.

What happens if you turn the DHCP server off on the HH. Do all the clients then start using the .254 address as you want?

Regards

0 Ratings