cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

HH5 Installation help please.

Hi all, I'm just awaiting the delivery of my HH5 and thought I'd ask about installation. My current set up is the Openreach modem and HH3 and is installed as follows:

before I had Infinity installed I just had a single telephone socket in the hallway the Infinity engineer kindly extended this into my living room so now I have an Openreach modem with the extension box below it1 - Modem.jpg see below

The telephone extension box has my telephone connected (bottom wire) and the top wire is connected to the DSL socket on the moden. Then there is a blck lead that comes out the side of the extension box and plugs into the LAN 1 socket on the modem then there is a grey wire that comes out of the right side of the extension box that goes about 8mtrs around my living room to another box that the engineer fitted on the wall near my router with a black lead with red plug that plugs into the HH3 red BT Infinty socket see below

2 - Extension.jpg

Basically, my question is how do replace all this with my HH5 when it comes. Can I just switch off the old Openreach modem, unplug the old DSL and LAN 1 wires from the extension box below the moden go to the second extension box with the single black lead which is currently going into my HH3 and put it in my HH5 or am I being an idiot. Sorry for the long winded post, hope I've made sense.....and hope the pictures are thereSmiley Happy.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: HH5 Installation help please.

I'm guessing I need a long DSL cable  from the first extension box to travel the 10mtrs or so around my living room to where the HH5 will be. Is it ok to use long DSL cables or can you lose speed the longer the cables? Thing is I'm pretty restricted as to where things can be.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

joey you may have to put up with having the HH5 where the openreach modem is now.
Better to use the cat5 ext ( the engineer put in for you ) than set up a new DSL ext .

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

Leaving the HH5 near the Openreach modem isn't really an option. Will the speed be badly affected by a 10mtr dsl cable?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Think how far it has travelled from the cabinet to your house via copper cables, another few meters won't make any great difference in your speeds. Just make sure you have a decent cable and not some cheap rubbish from the pound store.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

The way it is setup at the moment (if I'm right) is you have the VDSL modem connected to the DSL on your phone socket with a grey RJ11 (ADSL) cable. Then you have the hub3 connected to the LAN1 port on your VDSL modem with a data extension.

RJ11 (ADSL) plugs will fit (and work) in RJ45 (ethernet) sockets. 

Remove the black ethernet cable with the red plugs altogether, and connect the grey RJ11 (ADSL) cable from your phone socket into the data extension socket. Your hub 3 will be connected from the data extension into the red WAN port with an ethernet cable. Remove this and replace it with the black RJ11 cable that is supplied with the hub5, connect this to the hub5 DSL socket, and you should be up and running.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

Some people would rather chuck the HH5 in the bin as it has been problematical. Presumably you want one as it has significant advantages over your current set up.

Be aware that as it is an integrated modem any manual resets etc could be interpreted as line problems by DLM with a possible reduction in profile - unlike a modem then router where you could play around with the router with no effect on the profile.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 11

Just to add a little to what GG has said above, regarding a decent cable.

If you go to that famous online auction site and enter 350682964560 in the search bar, that will give you a listing for a very high quality cable and just select the required length from the drop-down menu. 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Conway, I got the HH5 for free for recontracting with BT. I was always going to recontract anyway for free BT sports but when I recently had a problem with my HH3 I called customer services and they suggested recontracting and they'll give me a HH5. If it not any good I'll call them up.
Sorry SiCo, I'm not getting your set up, is a cable not meant to go into the HH5 red BT infinity socket as well as the dsl socket?

Rottie, gg and everyone thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Sorry Conrad, got your name wrong.. spellchecker going mad!
0 Ratings