cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

HH5 Intermittent Ethernet Port Issue

I have been using a HomeHub 5a for some time now, and it's fine.  I get my full 80/20 Infinity, much of the time.  However, it has become clear over the last few days that I have an intermittent fault with Port No: 4, in that it continually drops and picks up .

My BT TV box was having continual drop off from the internet, as informed by the onscreen message, then I completely lost the Programme Guide and all TV.  This was resolved on a call to BT, where getting to the end of his tether, the guy suggested swapping some cables around, as well as the usual power down/power up routine.  

The upshot was this now put my Slingbox on that Ethernet port, and the same is happening with this.  I have all four ports in use for BT TV box, Slingbox, WD networked HDD/Back-Up, and a powerline connector, going upstairs.

As I am now back in contract, will BT be likely to replace the router>  It's certainly over 12 months old, but I just recontracted at the end of July.

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: HH5 Intermittent Ethernet Port Issue

It would be cheaper and much less hassle to add an Ethernet switch to one of your ports, and forget about using port 4.

Something like the TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 5 port switch.

That will give you three extra ports, allowing for one to connect to the home hub, and one to connect to whatever was on that home hub port.

Data transfer between devices connected to that switch would also be quicker, as it would not have to go via the home hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

I see your point, but I also have a slight aesthetic issue. The HH fits quite nicely where it lives, but another switch would be in the way.

I'll give them a call and see where it goes, with your solution as a Plan B, if necessary.

I'm currently literally waiting for some paint to dry, so, it could be a decent time to call. 🐵
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Just to close the loop, BT are replacing the HH.

I almost fell off my perch when I was put through to a call centre in Exeter.  Allegedly, there is al ot of trainig going on at the moment, with a view to more customer facing roles, such as those, being onshore.

0 Ratings