Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 121 of 283

Re: HH5 New Software Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204

Go to solution

There seem to be a number of threads with various titles, but all of which relate to problems following the update to firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.204, but I thought I'd post here as the title seems the most applicable.

Been happy with my Infinity 2 connection since installation March 2014. Relatively few disconnects, speeds lower than BT's estimate but still acceptable. Connection up-times have varied from 45 to 103 days, with only slight variations in speeds.

The day before the firmware upgrade I had had 24 days connection with DL/UL speeds of 46606/9380, ping avg 19ms.

The upgrade took place in the early hours of Sunday 15 Feb and connection history since then is as follows ...

15/02/15: 5 restarts: 05:15(46775/9999), 05:17(46436/9999), 07:25(46551/9999), 09:40(46361/9999), 11:45(46756/9798)

then stable for the rest of the day until ...

16/02/15: 5 restarts: 04:30(46797/9999), 05:33(41358/9528), 09:08(41374/9555), 11:10(41115/9546), 13:23(41506/9448)

17/02/15: Been stable now for around 24 hours.

These are real-world times - most, but not all (!), hub log times are 1 hour ahead.

So, as with numerous other users, BT's firmware update has screwed my connection reliability and speed. Presumably, the frequent disconnects have caused the dreaded DLM to kick in and make matters even worse. Even if the HH5 now stays stable, I've lost 5Mb download speed, and pings have almost doubled from avg 19ms to 36ms.  How long will it take to recover, if ever?

We didn't need or ask for this change. And BT are being their usual secretive selves, dragging their heels in accepting that there is even a fault, let alone providing a fix. Why not simply roll back to the previous version pending investigations?

We're paying a premium price here for a degraded service provided on inferior hardware. We've already had to apply workarounds. I've currently got my bands split and renamed, and 2.4GHz set to a fixed channel as 'Smart Wireless' simply isn't. The 5GHz channel has never held a connection so I've stopped using it for my iPad. What *is* the point of the HH5 when none of its 'advanced features' will work properly? Some have suggested ditching the HH5 in favour of either a separate OR modem or a different VDSL2 modem/router. Why should we have to spend our hard-earned cash to fix a problem of BT's own making and their inferior product? In my case it would be cheaper to buy out my remaining contract and leave, than buy new VDSL2 kit.

This latest problem doesn't appear to have a workaround, so BT must provide a solution very soon or people (including me) will be looking elsewhere. The clock is ticking (with the correct time set)!

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 122 of 283

Go to solution
well said. I was going to watch Netflix tonight, looks like thats screwed by BTs ineptitude,
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 123 of 283

Go to solution

Last Friday evening (13th) my HH5 started rebooting in a loop at 19:30 and has done ever since.  I get the blue light and service for about 15 seconds before the reboot cycle re-triggers itself.  

I am at the point where I'd be happy to purchase my own hardware.  This is the third Hub 5 I've had in a little over a year, and without a next day replacement service on hand, I just can't take it anymore!  I already replaced the wireless element of my set-up since the Hub is ineffective.  

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement of the Modem/router side of things?  I use an Airport Extreme for Wireless so that part is taken care of. 

A replacement Hub 5 is due tomorrow, but I've reached the point where I'd like some decent failover hardware on standby. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 124 of 283

Go to solution
If the wireless is turned OFF on the Homehub, try turning it ON
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 125 of 283

Go to solution

@ShadyCreek wrote:

Last Friday evening (13th) my HH5 started rebooting in a loop at 19:30 and has done ever since.  I get the blue light and service for about 15 seconds before the reboot cycle re-triggers itself.  

I am at the point where I'd be happy to purchase my own hardware.  This is the third Hub 5 I've had in a little over a year, and without a next day replacement service on hand, I just can't take it anymore!  I already replaced the wireless element of my set-up since the Hub is ineffective.  

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement of the Modem/router side of things?  I use an Airport Extreme for Wireless so that part is taken care of. 

A replacement Hub 5 is due tomorrow, but I've reached the point where I'd like some decent failover hardware on standby. 

I would have thought that if the 3 LAN ports on the airport extreme is enough for you then an Openreach Modem would be the way to go. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 126 of 283

Go to solution

I use an openreach modem obtained from a well know web site with an airport express.

Rock solid.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 127 of 283

Go to solution

Thank you ray_dorset.  I have switched on 2.4 only and it has stopped the Hub from continally rebooting.  

What on earth have they done to make it behave in that way, and why don't tech support know about it!  I've spent hours on calls, chasing, testing etc  

I've been using the Airport Extreme for several months now with no problem at all.  Have BT suddenly decided they don't like us using our own, more reliable solutions?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 128 of 283

Go to solution

Do you really.  I shall need to investigate this as the Hub behaviour drives me crazy. 

Thanks for the advice. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 129 of 283

Go to solution

Thank you Soyuz.  Seems to be the consensus here.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 130 of 283

Go to solution

I was going to post yesterday as I as I was tearing my hair out with the HH5. This might help somebody or it might help nobody.

Had Infinity installed a week ago and from the 14th a firmware update was installed and since then the router reboots as in loses signal to the internet and goes orange and then blue every 10 minutes sometimes lasting 2 minutes before rebooting.

I was absolutely convinced it was the hub and have trouble shooted (or thought I had) everything I could think of. Unplugged everything around it, plugged the HH5 into the test socket with the phone disconnected, renamed both 2.4ghz and 5hz channels. Used inSSider to set both channels on something that no one else around me uses. Unplugged phone base stations, changed filters and ethernet cables and still it dropped near constantly. Could hardly get 20 minutes uptime on the hub. I even double filtered to the phone to see if made a difference.

Then I realised something. Even though I had unplugged the phone wire and base stations I did not take the batteries out of the cordless phone and it was "searching". Once I did that it was boom a constant connection now on 18 hours uptime without a single hiccup in service. Before that I was getting every single error that has been posted here which is how I found the thread when I was googling the errors trying to save the remaining hair on my head.

I will update if it drops and hope it helps someone here. Time to buy some new DECT phones I think.

0 Ratings