cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

HH5 PPPoE drops every 6 minutes - only when sustained uploads going on

I have been getting recurring PPPoE session drops every few (6-7) minutes for some time.  I have found it happens when there are sustained uploads happening.  When I figured out that was the case, I found this forum pretty quickly. 

I have run BT line tests from the BT website, which pass ok. I have logged a case to have it checked, which was closed after a week, saying it had been resolved.  It has not been resolved, and it continues.

I am seeing recurring "PPP LCP Send Termination Request" in the HH5 troubleshooting log roughly every 6-7 minutes.  Its driving me crazy, as it upsets the backup, BT TV is interrupted, iPlayer falls over...  Chaos!

What can I do?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: HH5 PPPoE drops every 6 minutes - only when sustained uploads going on

Buy a decent VDSL modem/router.

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 3 of 6

You beat me to it. Couldn't agree more.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Appreciate your suggestion.  Happy to buy something better than the BT homehub (and have VLAN capability).  The other though is to buy a modem, and stick with the HH5 wifi.  Any recommendations?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

You will get an Openreach modem for a few pounds on ebay.

There are a few VDSL modem/routers that are recommended by users on the forum. It all depends on your needs and of course your budget.

They start in price at about £30 for a basic single wireless frequency one and go up to over £200 for all the bells and whistles.

If you do an Internet search you will get an idea and after you have decided what you would like post back and I am sure somebody will offer an opinion based on experience of using it.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Have decided to go with a eBay BT Openreach HG612 modem, as its only a few quid (as you said) to see if I can improve the situation.  I have one of them in use at work too.  If that doesn't work out I'll splash the cash on something new.  I'll post my experiences; it might help someone who follows on.

0 Ratings