Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

HH5 / Port Forwarding and Dynamic DNS

Go to solution

Got a Home Hub 5 (Type A) today to replace the older HH3 + Huawei Modem for Infinity2.

On my HH3 I had both Port Forwarding and a connection to DynDNS for remote FTP access to hardware.

Having set port forwarding on the HH5 I then tried to set up access to DynDNS but every attempt to connect to the service failed to logon and the menu kept dropping the password.  I launched the Windows PC version of Dynamic DNS Updater available from Dyn.com and this worked fine.  This means that there is no port problem on the router.  Has anyone else had similar difficulties?

What on earth is going on on the HH5?  Tech. Expert helpline informed me that Dynamic DNS configuration is not supported.  If that is the case why have a menu on the hub for it?  I also note that Expert Review of the HH5 states that there is NO Dynamic DNS on the unit.  I am both confused and frustrated.  The whole purpose of the HH5 was to reduce the connection count to my UPS so that I could support another device in the freed socket.

Needless to say, the HH3 is back in service and I've stuck an adapter on the UPS to connect both devices in one socket.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: HH5 / Port Forwarding and Dynamic DNS

Go to solution

It sound like a software bug. I assume that you were in the advanced settings, assuming that there is such an option on the HH5?

Nobody else has reported an issue with the DDNS service on the HH5 yet. Does the event log show what the error might be?

I know if you get the hostname or login details incorrect on the other home hubs, its not always obvious unless you look in the event log.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Keith

Yes I was in Advanced Settings and had transcribed all pages from the HH3 to the HH5.  On another site there is some discussion as to whether uPnP causes some confusion to DDNS.  uPnP was enabled when I tried, as in the current HH3 system.  I completely reentered the login details several times so it isn't that and the PC-based DDNS Updater worked fine through the HH5 so the required port isn't blocked.  Didn't look at the log as I did a full RESET before finally packing the HH% back in its box.

Last night, in order to let users back online I reinstated the HH3 and modem.  Connection was instant and DynDNS updated.

When I get a chance (no users) I will try again and set DDNS first using an Android device!

Bill

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Keith

I tried again today and I think I have found the problem!

I looked at the logs and there it shows that something is blocking the DynDNS logins.  The entries say OUT: BLOCK [44] Advanced Filter Rule (fw/policy/0/chain/fw_ath12_out/rule/0: UDP 10.31.57.28:137->10.31.57.31:137 on ath12).  As the DynDNS process uses UDP it is impossible to access the server if UDP is blocked.

Where are these Advanced Filter Settings and how do I change them?  I see in the forum that others are having forwarding problems through similar filter settings.  The fact that I can set IP using a PC-based version of the process makes me wonder if this is a firmware bug.  Turning off the firewall doesn't help.

Bill

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Those IP addresses are not within your private home hub subnet 192.168.1.xxx, but probably someone connected to BT Wifi, so you can ignore the log entry.

I don`t know anything about the HH5, so the DDNS service may have a firmware bug, as I would expect to see an event log showing the host update. That is what I see on my home hub 1.

Have you looked at your DynDNS host update logs, to see if there had been any updates from the home hub?

https://account.dyn.com/dns/dyndns/auxlanglog.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Keith

Yup! Mea culpa.  When I looked closer these IP addresses they were a wireless node that I thought was switched off!  Oops.

Another look at the log does reveal "No response from dyndns.org" on every attempt to update the IP.  These entries were flooded with the Block messages in between relevant lines.  Last known IP update from DDNS was using the HH3 hub which I have reinstated for the second time!  The HH5 started to go VERY slow and on restarting no longer connects to the broadband service at all.  It goes into a closed loop of starting, getting green then orange then blue then green then blue then red/orange with a no broadband flag.  I reckon this box is sick!

As there is only an inconvenience from the UPS power load aspect in continuing with the HH3 I think the best thing is to box this HH5 up and return it to BT.  Any idea how I do this?

Many thanks for your help.

Bill

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

If you paid full price for the HH5, then you should be able to get a refund, however if it was a reduced cost "upgrade", then I am not sure what you could do.

If its faulty, and you want a replacement, then you should be able to ring up the helpline, and request on. Just say that all the lights keep going on and off. It does sound like a power issue.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
I'm also having a problem with Dynamic DNS and a HH5.

I'm attempting to use the NoIP service, as it's free.
Unfortunately, the HH5 refuses to connect to it. It shows an error saying "invalid username", although I know the username and password are correct.
Also, the NoIP client software on Windows works absolutely fine using exactly the same username and password.

Seems like the HH5 is pretty useless when it comes to Dynamic DNS then.

I did call BT, but unfortunately, they didn't have a clue (fair enough) stating Dynamic DNS was not an option, and the "technical team" were going to call me back.
If it's not something supported, then why the hell is there an option to configure it?!!
Either remove the option completely (bad), or make it work (good)!

They managed to call when I was out, refused to call my mobile when my wife requested they do that, and said they'd call later instead. So far....nothing.
(I was warned about BT customer support, and was prepared for bad customer service, but I'm amazed how bad it is.)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
They don't call them BombayTelecom for nothing. My HH5 supports Dynamic DNS from NoIP, and it works, for ONE hostname only. The HH5 is rubbish.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
I'm with Sky now. NoIP working nicely 🙂
0 Ratings