cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
864 Views
Message 1 of 16

HH5 alternative modems...

hey all

 

curious to know if anybody here is using a alternative modem to the HH5...

i find the HH5 to be unreliable and very flaky.. connection issues, wifi dropouts.. even browsing the modems web page causes it to go offline.. 

 

 

 

 

done a bit of research already and i came across this one.. 

TP-LINK TD-W9980 - N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router

 

read some reviews and this http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/12/2015-update-broadband-router-options-uk-fttc-vdsl-isps....

 

they say that for the price its solid.. 

 

 

anybody got any other suggestions?

 

 

cheers

 

 

 

 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
857 Views
Message 2 of 16

Re: HH5 alternative modems...

Billion 8800 NL
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
849 Views
Message 3 of 16

Re: HH5 alternative modems...

yep saw this one too.. im actually a big billion fan but this one doesnt do 5ghz wireless and only has 1 gigabit ethernet port

i guess i can get a gigabitch switch but that just means i have to buy another piece of hardware...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
846 Views
Message 4 of 16

Re: HH5 alternative modems...

Or just plug it into the HH5.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
840 Views
Message 5 of 16

Re: HH5 alternative modems...

I've become a big fan of using separate modem and router setup since the  ^Guru's^ recommended them as an option for my line.

 

eci/r or hg612 3b modem hooked upto a high end asus rt-ac68u seems a very popular combination on here.

 

Also I belive the ac68u  works with the mulit cast stuff for the tv box.

 

I have a unlocked eci/r  for the line info & old tomato linksys router & even that is light years ahead of the hh5 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
805 Views
Message 6 of 16

Re: HH5 alternative modems...


@mazu wrote:

hey all

 

curious to know if anybody here is using a alternative modem to the HH5...

i find the HH5 to be unreliable and very flaky.. connection issues, wifi dropouts.. even browsing the modems web page causes it to go offline.. 

 

 

 

 

 


Currently using the TP Link 9980, been rock solid.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
801 Views
Message 7 of 16

Re: HH5 alternative modems...

I have a TP-Link W9980 it is a nice bit of kit for the price, I have not opened it up yet but, I  believe it has a Lantiq chipset. 

 

The BILLION Bipac 8800AXL is also a good choice if you want to spend some money.

 

Like has been said, using an openreach vdsl modem with the HH5 is a cheap alternative.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
795 Views
Message 8 of 16

Re: HH5 alternative modems...


@licquorice wrote:

@mazu wrote:

hey all

 

curious to know if anybody here is using a alternative modem to the HH5...

i find the HH5 to be unreliable and very flaky.. connection issues, wifi dropouts.. even browsing the modems web page causes it to go offline.. 

 

 

 

 

 


Currently using the TP Link 9980, been rock solid.


 

thanks... thats what i wanted to hear!

i am leaning towards giving this one a shot...

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
793 Views
Message 9 of 16

Re: HH5 alternative modems...

Does it work with BT TV ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
792 Views
Message 10 of 16

Re: HH5 alternative modems...


@Soyuz wrote:

I have a TP-Link W9980 it is a nice bit of kit for the price, I have not opened it up yet but, I  believe it has a Lantiq chipset. 

 

The BILLION Bipac 8800AXL is also a good choice if you want to spend some money.

 

Like has been said, using an openreach vdsl modem with the HH5 is a cheap alternative.


 

money isnt really a concern and id rather spend a bit extra and get a solid piece of hardware.

not really sure i understand this openreach vdsl modem setup.. but it sounds like theres 2 devices connected? 

 

 

im liking the TP LINK 9980 so far...

0 Ratings