Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

HH5 and Corporate VPN Issue

Go to solution

Been struggling with finding a solution for 6 weeks - running out of options, and need some help

I have not tried calling the BT support desk, as my problem seems very specific

Win7 computer connectiong to coporate network via Cisco any connect

home hub 5, type B

Gaining a connection via VPN is not a problem

I can gain access to corporate applications, fine

However - one web based application I cannot connect to. Chrome complains, when attempting to access this application, of firewall/proxy issues. The other symptom is Outlook loses a connection requiring a small work around to restablish a connection (happens 4 or 5 times a day). I assume solve one of the two issues, solves the other. (firewall/proxy issue?)

I have tried all usual candidates - opt out of web help, port forwarding, port clamping, factory reset router - nothing works

also my IT department has reinstalled VPN, and also outlook, plus ensure IE is setup correctly to access the VPN proxy service

However and this is the telling part -If I use a 3rd party router then the problems goes away at a stroke. Great! you may think. Saddly the problem then becomes, I cannot access BT TV (despite the router box saying it does!)

Everything therefore is pointing to the HH5 router - can anyone offer any solution as I'm lost what to try next.

Try a different HH5 router - and hope for the best?

PS you may be wondering what event 6 weeks ago started this off

The application mentioned above that I cannot access was introduced, but also a different way outlook connects using IE was rolled out

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: HH5 and Corporate VPN Issue

Go to solution

Which 3rd party router is it, you should be able to access BT TV. Ensure IGMP snooping is enabled.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks - I didn't want to go there as I thought we'd go off topic..OK here goes

It is a Netgear D7000 or AC1900 Nighthawk (?) - VDSL/ADSL Modem Router, running the latest firmware

endless factory resets, and setup's & two long conversations yesterday with Netgear support - in the end they gave up and directed me to speak to BT how their router should be setup

I decided , to cut any potential loseses, the router was going back to the vendor as I'm 3 days into a 30 day return period

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

The Netgear would appear not to support multicast judging from this thread from last year https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Netgear-R7000-Youview/td-p/1457116 However, I would recommend finding a third party router that does support multicast rather than try to get a HH working. Even if it you do get it to work, BT are likely to change the firmware and break it again. I'm pretty sure TP Link and Billion devices support multicast. The TP Link TD-W9980 definitely does.

Edit. Are you running the latest firmware on the netgear? Apparently there was a firmware update in January to fix the problem. Sorry to concentrate on the 3rd party aspect rather than HH5, but I do feel it is the best route to take.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

I fear'd this may be the only solution - going down the 3rd party route

I was kind of hoping not after the netgear experience, and I like the HH5 GUI's simplicity if I'm honest

Is the TP-Link and out of the box solution for BT TV, or does it involve lots of config' changes?

Edit - yes latest firmware on the netgear, made no difference . I had a IPTV connection for an hour, then it lost the signal

I went through this with Netgear support, who were easy to access and helpful, however they ran out of ideas in the end

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

Pretty much out of the box, the only selections you need to make are xDSL modem Router Mode, BT VDSL, username homehub@btbroadband.com and password BT. Then just select Network > WAN Settings > Advance and tick Enable IGMP Proxy. I cannot personally confirm the TP-Link works (I don't have BT TV), but other users have definitely reported that it does.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

Any view's on ASUS modem/routers & BT TV - I have an old ASUS router 

I like ASUS and their GUI

Edit - My prefered solution would be a working HH5, but if I must consider something else...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

I personally don't like ASUS for 2 reasons. The modem portion of their devices appear to be a bit flaky (although they may have fixed earlier problems with later firmware) and they allow the user to configure parameters that the user shouldn't be allowed to tinker with. Many people like them for the second reason!! Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

I too read about the modem - put me off

I don't need/like lot's of selection options - just something that works

about to go around my parents to test my VPN issues - they too are on BT, not on infinity/old HH variant

It'll probably work fine

probably won't work with BT TV though...all comes back to BT TV working or not Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

Parents House Test

HH4 - no VPN issues 

Does this mean my HH5 is faulty? - could do with a work colleague connecting to my HH5 to see if they get the problem

0 Ratings