Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

HH5 and a Lynksys E200 router

Hi,

Hope someone can help, i would like to run a second router from my original HH5 as a ddwrt router(E200), basically as a second network within my home.

Can somebody help with a step by step(very simple) ?

I know the two are compatible, but really am lost with how to do this?

Regards

Rob

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: HH5 and a Lynksys E200 router

As the HH5 is a modem/router, you cannot add another NAT router to your network, assuming that you are on Infinity, and do not have a separate Openreach modem

All you can do is to add an additional wireless access point, or additional Ethernet connections.

You may be able to use the E200 as a basic wireless access point by connection one of its LAN ports to one of the the HH5 LAN ports, changing its IP address and turning off DHCP.

To be honest, its much simpler to use a broadband extender with inbuilt wireless, it also saves running any extra cables.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Hi,

I have read that you can set up another router running from the main router(HH5), and set it up as a second network, for dedicated traffic, like a business network and keep the HH5 for personal traffic?

Regards

Rob

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I cannot see how that could be possible, as you only have one Internet connection and a basic NAT router. An additional wireless network could be given a different SSID and password, but it would still be on the same subnet, and there would be no isolation.

If you are looking to setup a Guest network, then some wireless routers do have this facility, but they would have to be connected to a modem, if you are using Infinity.

As fas as a business network is concerned, you would not be allowed to run a business on a BT Residential account anyway, as its forbidden.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

It would appear to be possible -

BT Home Hub Help - Using a Second Router

Just not quite sure about how it would work?

Rob

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@sproey wrote:

It would appear to be possible -

BT Home Hub Help - Using a Second Router

Just not quite sure about how it would work?

Rob

In the manner Keith pointed out in post 2.

0 Ratings