cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

HH5 dropping line every 200 minutes. BT Closed fault without contacting me.

My HH5 drops the line every 200 minutes or so. The logged reason is:

HomeHub5 log PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

This HH5 is

BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 | Last updated 02/09/15

I raised a fault with 'Deepak', but this has been Closed without asking me if the matter is fixed.  It isn't.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: HH5 dropping line every 200 minutes. BT Closed fault without contacting me.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

As requested the Aavailaility and Stats.  There isn't a button of the HomeHorror5 to download the log, you don't REALLY want me to screenshot all the pages and cut and paste them do you? 

TOF.

BTAvailability-20160209.pngSpeedtest-20160209.png 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Sorry I just reread your request, Herewith:

stats.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

If it's every 200 minutes, is that at night only? Or 24 hours a day? It could be a timer of sorts that is causing a spike of noise causing the connection to drop.

Can you think of anything in your home that happens around the same time the connection drops?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

It's not the same time every day and it's not always 200 minutes, but there are runs of the same time when for three of four days the line drops occur at exactly the same moment, 20:54 was a popular time for two weeks in January.  I should say that the HorribleHub5 doesn't reboot, it just drops the line and within a minute it has resynced with a new IP (which is a major annoyance).  No other Router/Modem that has been on this line in the last 10 years has every done this.

It also occurs (from the Log) at other times throughout the day and night, but they are not as intrusive.

Nothing in my house is timer driven, even the heating is demand (thermostats and zone valves, not radiator)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Interesting that it was at exactly 20:54 for a few days in a row, would certainly point to it being some sort of external factor causing a spike of noise that was too great for the connection to remain.

It sounds like you're convinced the hub may be the cause of the issue, my advice would be to try a different router or modem/router combination to see if the connectivity remains stable.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I have bought a Huawei EchoLife HG612 VDSL Modem.  We'll see if that helps.  Bombay Telecom seem to have given up trying help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Just a short progress report.  I have now installed the HG612, and immediately my download speed has jumped from 12.80M to 15.76M.  I will now monitor to see if the line drops.....

Speedtest-20160215.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Well, it is now 3 days without any change in any of the stats on the line.  I think this proves that the HorribleHorror5's VDSLN link was the culprit.  The HG612 has solved all my isses, but I am still using the HH5 for WiFi and that seems OK.

Thanks Bombay Telecom for all your help 🙂  I am now closing the issue.  You can stand down the battalions of engineers.

0 Ratings