cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

HH5 issuing wrong IP and DNS address

My Win7 desktop pc is connected via ethernet to a HH5 and worked until this morning when it wouldn't connect to the internet. Various restarts of pc and HH didn't work so I checked the properties of the pc network. It stated that the IP address was valid (192.168.1.65) but the DNS was 192.168.0.254 instead of 192.168.1.254. After I changed it it worked OK so I manually set it to the DNS values in the HH5 setup of 62.6.40.162.

All is working on my pc but now my win7 laptop is having the same problem when connected wirelessly to the HH. Also my Brother wireless printer wouldn't connect so I restarted it's network wizard which seemed to work until I checked the IP address and it's 192.168.0.104 so can't be seen by other devices.

However, assorted iPads and iPhones all seem to connect and get the correct IP and DNS addresses OK giving good internet access.

This only started this morning and as far as I know nothing has changed.

What is going on ?

Oh and I have already tried a factory reset of the HH5 by sticking a pin in the reset hole.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: HH5 issuing wrong IP and DNS address

Try disabling IPv6 on the Windows machines.

This suggestion by forum member  gg30340, should fix the problem.

Select Start

• In the Start Search field type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
  • In the This connection uses the following items section, remove the tick beside (i.e. disable) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then press OK.

Left click on Internet Protocol IPV4, click on properties. Check the options to obtain IP address and DNS Server address automatically.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Tried that and it still doesn't work. On my laptop it issues a DNS of 192.168.0.254 instead of the correct 192.168.1.254 to go through the hub. All web page attempts just result in page not found.

If I manually change the DNS to 192.168.1.254 it works but obviously I don't want to do this on a portable laptop as I will have to change it every time I take it out of the house.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Do you have any other routers or network devices which may be responding to DHCP requests, like extra routers which you may be using as access points?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

No other routers with DHCP capability. But strangely, I have been out for the day and now my laptop etc is working OK and getting the correct DNS address. Nothing has changed so I am at a bit of a loss.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

One of those strange things which I am sure has been reported before on this forum.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Laptop-connecting-to-Router-but-cant-access-inte...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

I realise it's ok at the moment, but as Keith says it sounds to me like there is a rogue DHCP server on your network.  Do you use a different router to provide wireless (instead of using the HH5 wireless, for example)?

On one of the PCs that gets the 192.168.0.x address, what is the DHCP server address?  I'm guessing it's 192.168.0.254.  If it is, go to http://192.168.0.254 in a browser and see what device answers.

0 Ratings