cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

HH5 loses contact with Wireless printer

I have an HP 5520 (2.4Ghz only) wireless printer.  It is wirelessly connected to my HH5 router.  After some period of time (several hours?) scan and print functions fail.  The printer ALWAYS shows (or at least thinks) it is connected to wifi.  However, the laptop device manager shows the printer as offline.  If I restart the printer, it makes no difference.  Neither does switching off wifi on the printer and re-connecting.   The only fix that ever works is to re-start the HH5.  Once that is done I will get a bunch of pages to print that have been buffered in the laptop.  I have tried both fixed and DHCP ip addresses. I have split the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless networks (changed SSID for 5Ghz), although I can't really see why that might help anyway.  I can't find any other references to this problem in the forums.  I changed the HH5 and had the same problem.  So it appears to be some characteristic with the HH5 and the HP photosmart 5520 printer.  But there are 1000's of both devices around.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: HH5 loses contact with Wireless printer

If you split the networks did you also select a WiFi channel rather than leave it on automatic?  Try channel 13 and see if that helps 

Splitting the networks helps as many devices do not the networks joined together

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

It failed again overnight.  I was using a fixed wireless channel (4) as it was not in use by anything locally (Android WiFi Analyser app).  Now changed to 13.  Would be interested to know why 13 in particular may help.  Will need to let this run for a few more hours to see what happens.  Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Channel 13 can be the least congested because it is not auto selected by any routers and is only over lapped by one of the auto select channels, channel 11. All the other non auto select channels are over lapped by the auto select channels so can be more congested than the auto select ones. The auto select channels are 1,6 and 11

Wi-Fi_channels.png 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Sorry to say that the change to Channel 13 did not change anything.  It has failed again.  Once more, the only "fix" is to re-start the router.

Looking for more ideas I'm afraid.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

have you checked you have the latest driver for your printer wireless conenction from HP wib site

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@Scannes2 wrote:

Sorry to say that the change to Channel 13 did not change anything.  It has failed again.  Once more, the only "fix" is to re-start the router.

Looking for more ideas I'm afraid.

Maybe use a different router?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for the thought.  I have spent most of the day playing with the hair I've been tearing out.  Everything looks good but as ever, it fails.  Checked all the software and drivers.  The consistency is that a router restart gets everything going again.  Problem is that the advanced setting on the BT HH is too basic to see what is happening.  Seems to me some sort of keep alive parameter needs enabling, but you can't get to a proper admin level on the router. 

I'm waiting for a new fibre to the premises network to be commissioned locally, then I'll be off from BT and into the 21st century, and with a new router.  Hopefully that will do the business.

0 Ratings