cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

HH5 <--> switch <--> switch issue.

After days of trying to work out why the HH5 kept having all sorts of issues, I think I have found the cause. But I do not know why and I would be keen to hear if I am alone.

I have the HH5 next to master socket.

From here there is a run of ethernet to a switch under the stairs.

From this switch there are a couple of devices.

There is also a run through the house wall to the garage where there is another switch with a couple of devices.

Not a complicated or unusual setup - however, the 2nd level of switching seems to cause issues. When i wire either of the switches directly the HH5 all is fine. When I have the set up above the unit crashes, wireless drops, ethernet is sporadic. 

This same network config worked with my netgear router from before.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

HH5 - Wifi drops - something on the network?

We have just had our HH5 replaced as it was struggling to stay alive. It was replaced and seemed to be working. When I reconnected our home NAS and a couple of other wired devices it seems to struggle again. Has anyone had issues where certain devices on the network or certain patterns of traffic cause the hub to wobble? Seems strange to me but disconnecting the wired devices seems to have resolved the issue - although it not a suitable solution.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

Re: HH5 <--> switch <--> switch issue.

does the switch causing the issue have dhcp turned off?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@latitudehopper wrote:

After days of trying to work out why the HH5 kept having all sorts of issues, I think I have found the cause. But I do not know why and I would be keen to hear if I am alone.

I have the HH5 next to master socket.

From here there is a run of ethernet to a switch under the stairs.

From this switch there are a couple of devices.

There is also a run through the house wall to the garage where there is another switch with a couple of devices.

Not a complicated or unusual setup - however, the 2nd level of switching seems to cause issues. When i wire either of the switches directly the HH5 all is fine. When I have the set up above the unit crashes, wireless drops, ethernet is sporadic. 

This same network config worked with my netgear router from before.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I seem to remember some time back somebody with a similar issue with cascaded switches and multiple IP cameras. Can't for the life of me remember the eventual solution though. If you have the energy, you could trawl the board for the posts.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

I had a similar issue. It came down to the wired Sonos components also creating wireless connections between themselves, thus creating a circular network and generally wrecking havoc.
Solution is Switch specific - for me I needed to turn on something called DPDU Flooding (no idea) but usually I think you use STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) - you assign a number to each switch, with the pecking order being the lower the number the more important - the switches route the data down the path with the lowest score. You'd probably want the switch connected to the HH as the lowest, but guess it's up to you.

Might be worth a shot. Or it could be a complete red herring
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I might try looking a bit deeper. I have been tempted to replace the HH5 in the hope that it goes away.

There are only three things on the wired network. A readyNAS, raspberry pi and youview box. I wouldn't have thought anything here would be causing issues. I will try unplugging one at a time and see where that gets me.

0 Ratings