Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RCarter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

HH5 to TP-Link VR900

Go to solution

Hi all,

I have a HH5 which gives me my internet connection etc but I wanted to add a 2nd router upstairs so I got given a TP-Link Archer VR900 v1. I pluged in my new VR900, connected it to my HH5 via a Ethernet cable and can connect to it no problem from my main PC (which is connected to the HH5 via ethernet cable), however I don't know how to give the VR900 a internet connection.

I've set up the VR900 with all the Wi-FI details and have pluged in my upstairs PC, CCTV system and NAS drive which I can access from my main PC but none of these have a internet connection. When I look at the routers settings page it says Internet: Disconnected and Please check if your phone cable is properly connected. so I'm assuming its trying to act as a dsl modem too.

I can't seem to be able to disconnet the dsl modem part so can anyone help me, what do I do?

Thank you

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: HH5 to TP-Link VR900

Go to solution

First of all what a waste of money using the VR900 VDSL modem/router just as a router and not a modem/router. That aside, if you intend to connect your DSL line to the HH5 and the vr900 to the HH5, you need to set the vr900 in wireless router mode rather than in xDSL modem router mode. Then connect the HH5 to LAN port4 on the VR900.

RCarter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

Is the VR900 a better router than the HH5? I was given the VR900 by a family member as they upgraded to a new router/modem so had it in a box in the loft.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Is a Rolls Royce better than a Skoda?

don't know what they upgraded to but the VR900 is a high end modem/router.

RCarter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Well then I shall use the VR900 as my main router, I'm sure it will be easy enough to unplug the HH5 and plug in the VR900, lol. I'm glad I asked and thank youlicquorice for the advice Smiley Very Happy

Well with the VR900 now going to be my main router, is it possible to use the HH5 as a 2nd router upstairs, basically the reverse of what I asked?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Personally, I would use the VR900 as your main router connected to the DSL line and then just use the HH5 as an Ethernet switch/wireless access point. Simply disable DHCP on the HH5 and change its address to 192.168.1.253 (assuming you have the VR900 set to 192.168.1.254) and connect it to the VR900 LAN port to HH5 LAN port.

Edit: Posts crossed.

prinknash
Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

From memory, I think my VR600 came with the address 192.168.1.1, which I changed to the familar 192.168.1.254. I imagine the VR900 is the same.

I started off using my old HH5 as a wireless access point in another part of the house but got fed up with the constantly flashing light on it, complaining that it didn't have a broadband connection. I replaced it with an old Asus RT-N66U, which does the job splendidly and without drawing attention to itself. But it would no doubt be possible to cover up the HH5 light with tape or something.

p

RCarter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Well I have the VR900 setup as my main router and yes its fantastic, its default IP Address is 192.168.1.1 so just left it as its easy to remember

I will connect the HH5 tomrorow now and just disable that DHCP and see how it does.

Thank you for all the help

0 Ratings