cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonnywells
Beginner
Message 1 of 46

HH5 with HG612?

Had enough of my HH5 randomly disconnecting me with openRG disconnects and starting to kill me infinity 2 speed (70mb down to 50mb now!)

Got a cheap NG612 off the bay to hopfully fix the problem. How do i go about using both the HH5 + NG612 together?

0 Ratings
45 REPLIES 45
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 46

Re: HH5 with HG612?

Have a look at https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/planning-to-get-myself-an-unlocked-openreac...

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 46

Just plug the phone line into the modem and plug LAN1 on the modem into the WAN port on the HH5
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 4 of 46

Should just be a case of :

Set up the openreach modem first.

plug the vdsl cable ( rj11) into the openreach modems dsl port, then plug the other end into the Master stocket.

Pop the power cable in and switch on.

Leave the modem for a few mins , {good time to make sure the HH5 is powered off & position as required}

Then plug the ethernet cable { red or yellow colour doesn't matter} into Lan1 of the Modem and the other end into Red {wan } port on the HH5.

Switch the HH5 on wait a few mins and everything should working ! 😉

As Shirts highlights, lots of info on this thread on set up.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/planning-to-get-myself-an-unlocked-openreac...

0 Ratings
jonnywells
Beginner
Message 5 of 46

Ok thanks for the link. I take it i dont have to disable the modem or anything on the HH5?

Whats the best unlocked firmware to run on the NG612 as i read there are a couple different ones

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 46

This is apparently the latest and best bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
PaulK
Moderator-Retired
Message 7 of 46

Hi Guys,

I know that this post is in relation to a modem purchased on eBay, but we would like to remind all BT customers that the unlocked firmware should not be used by customers who are in contract and still in their warranty period.

Thanks

PaulK

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account 🙂
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 8 of 46

Forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but does PaulK's post basicly mean:

Don't mess around with the BT Openreach Unit supplied at Install, always use your own spare modem for non-standard firmware.

Other wise if there is a problem with the connection - the end user customer is on the hook for the £££ bill ?

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 46

I believe this to be correct. I would guess that the supplied modem would remain the property of BT until the end of contract. But I could be mistaken......

I assume you are trying to view the line stats ? I did try this with the Homehub 5, however I had problems when it came to connecting the hub 5 to the modem via LAN2 in order to get the stats. I ended up getting an Asus router, and all has been good ever since......Smiley Wink 

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 46

@shirts wrote:
. I ended up getting an Asus router, and all has been good ever since......Smiley Wink 

I wonder what the BT position is over using a 3rd party router?

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings