cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 1 of 9

HH5B has new firmware but IPv6 is still disabled

My HH5B has the latest firmware but its IPv6 remains disabled. This thread is about trying to determine whether this is a fault that won't be fixed until it is reported to BT, or whether it just means that IPv6 is still in the process of being enabled on HH5 in my area and so all I can do is wait.

Pasting directly from the HH5B's Heldesk window:

v0.07.06.09028-BT (Type B) Last updated 29/10/2016

And Advanced Settings->Broadband->IPv6 Status says:

IPv6 Status
       IPv6 Hub Status:       Disabled
       IPv6 Network Status: Disabled

IPv6 will be disabled on your BT Home Hub and BT Broadband Network until supported by future services.

Also, Advanced Settings->Home Network->IPv6 Configuration says:

IPv6 Configuration is not currently enabled as your BT Home Hub and/or BT Broadband Network are not enabled for IPv6.

And finally, the HH5B event log shows this update after I forced a hub restart from the web UI:

23:05:38, 03 Jan. IPv6 Service: DHCP Server stop
     23:05:38, 03 Jan. IPv6 Service: RA Server stop

So, is this a fault, or just a sign that the work of enabling HH5 for IPv6 scheduled for "early 2017" is not yet finalized?

There appears to be some discussion about whether this is still normal for HH5B at present, so I'm holding off on
filing a fault report yet until there is a consensus that all HH5B should have IPv6 by now.  Since we're only 4 days into "early 2017", it seems rather over-eager to be raising fault reports yet.

We'll know when mass enabling of IPv6 on HH5 has occurred from APNIC figures, and that enabling doesn't appear to have begun.  Currently the BT IPv6 user count still lies on the HH6-only trend line, standing at 1,261,668 IPv6 users today by APNIC's measure.  No huge spike has yet occurred, as it will when model 5 is widely enabled.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
cooljay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: HH5B has new firmware but IPv6 is still disabled

My HH5B the same.

Regards

C.J

Firmware update was only last week.

Speed and connection fine.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 3 of 9

@cooljay, the fact that your HH5B got updated to the latest firmware only last week may actually be a very good sign of progress.  BT's IPv6-enable plan may entail first ensuring that all HH5B are at the same firmware level, because this makes the enabling automation simpler and reduces opportunities for error. At least that's what I'd do.

Thanks for confirming that some other HH5B are currently in the same IPv6 state as mine.

0 Ratings
pete581
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

My hh5b got updated on 30/11/2016 same firmware number also IPv6 settings read exactly the same as yours @MorgaineD
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 5 of 9

Excellent, thanks @pete581. So, we don't need to report a fault, it just means that the HH5 enabling plans are still ongoing.

Which is pretty reasonable. "Enabled within the first 4 days of 2017" would have been somewhat remarkable. 😛
0 Ratings
cooljay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Just Checked my other neighbours HH5B it is the same. I look after their computers for them.

Regards

C.J

0 Ratings
jamjar62
Expert
Message 7 of 9

my HH5 was updated on the 16.11.16  and its the same as yours no IPv6   So its just that BT hasn,t switched it on yet and not a fault 🙂  

JamJar62
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 8 of 9

Thanks @cooljay and @jamjar62, more good news in the sense of "it's not a fault". We'll just have to wait for our HH5 hubs to receive the IPv6-enabling update.
0 Ratings
fexnok
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Initially I thought it was a fault as well but reading this post actually explains it all. 

Mine shows exactly the same settings so let's hope it gets rolled out shortly.

Thanks

0 Ratings