Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave3d
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

HH6 limited to 3 hosts

Go to solution

This is my first post so show me some patience.

I have the new BT smart hub or home hub 6 which I have been slowly configuring. I previously had home hubs 2, 4 and 5, so I can find my way around it to a certain extent.

I pay No-IP for 20 host addresses and I have been configuring the router and ports to allow access to computers on my home network. I have a mixture of W10, W7, XP and several raspberry pi's some with cameras.

However the new homehub says maximum 3 hosts allowed in other words I cannot access more than 3 devices through the router using DNS? My previous router Homehub 5 had no such restriction.

I have tried all the settings. I don't wish to put a Dynamic Update Client (DUC) on each machine. Not even sure if that would work.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: HH6 limited to 3 hosts

Go to solution

I suggest you revert to your HH5, the HH6 is a backward step in many respects.

dave3d
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks.

I have now switched back to HH5 and have about 12 hosts set up on it.

0 Ratings
dave3d
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

As a matter of interest are there any advantages that HH6 has over previous versions?

Maybe the GUI but other than that I can't see anything that is an improvement. Quite the contrary.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Perhaps the advantage of expensive marketing Smiley Wink

The lack of wireless channel selection is a disadvantage.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Allegedly, the wifi is supposed to be an improvement but from comments on the forum I don't believe it is. The wifi is certainly hobbled, as it is now only possible to manually select 3 of the 13 channels available in the 2.4Ghz band. As usual a triumph of style over content, as long as it it looks pretty the designers are happy!!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Style over substance ?

The WiFi channel limitation, makes no sense at all, what logic were they applying?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

as a user of a HH6 I can confirm that the wifi gives better coverage than the hh5 - there have been other posts saying the same thing so not specific to my 'specialSmiley Very Happy' hh6

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dan-O
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

Allegedly, the wifi is supposed to be an improvement but from comments on the forum I don't believe it is. The wifi is certainly hobbled, as it is now only possible to manually select 3 of the 13 channels available in the 2.4Ghz band. As usual a triumph of style over content, as long as it it looks pretty the designers are happy!!

1, 6 and 11 are the only non-overlapping Wi-Fi channels (with the exception of 12/13 but these are rarely used because they're not supported in the USA so some devices have problems).

Using channels in between these can cause issues as channel 2 will interfere with both channel 1 and channel 6 for example. And channel selection algorithms may not detect the interfere if they simply look for other devices on the exact same channel.

Channel 1 uses none of the same frequency as Channel 6 and Channel 11 uses none of the same as Channel 6. This is because 2.4GHz Wi-Fi channels are split into 5MHz segments and the normal mode of operation is 20MHz (which will take up 4 5MHz chunks).

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Those channels are overlapped by signals from other routers. The problem with only three channels is if you are in a built up area, those three channels are already occupied by other home hubs, so you end up with home hubs playing leapfrog, and disconnecting devices in the process.

I use a different router, in a built up area, and the only clear channels are channel 5,channel 9 and channel 13. The rest are occupied by home hubs, Sky routers (which also use 1,6 and 11), and Virgin Media hubs, which seem to occupy two channels at a time Smiley Sad