We have put together a short survey to capture your feedback in terms of what BT can do when you experience home Wi-Fi issues. We would appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to complete a short survey. Read more from here, Fix my home Wi-Fi
We have a number of IOT devices in our office. Using a HH6 my PC works OK but the HH6 does not give a response to a DNS request from the IOT device.
We have hundereds of the IOT devices working in many other locations and with many other hub including netgear, HH5 and virgin. They are all hardwired, we don't use WiFi.
I'm using wireshark to diagnose this issue.
The IOT device receives the DHCP request and is given and IP address of 192.168.1.65, a DNS server address of 192.168.1.254. This appears in the log. I can ping the device from my PC.
The device then makes a DNS request to 192.168.1.254 as a dns server but it does not get any response.
If I type the same url into my pc it connects OK. My PC and the IOT device are on the same Netgear switch.
I have given my PC the same setting as sent to the IOT device and it can get DNS responses correctly.
It also has been working on a HH5 perfectly for about a year.
One odd thing I noticed is that the HH6 showed the device as a games machine on the "My Network" page. I changed this to a PC but no luck.
The implication is that the HH6 is somehow detecting the device type and ignoring the DNS request whereas on the HH5 there was no issue.
So the bottom line is what is different between the two such that the HH5 will work and the HH6 doesn't.
It's a new hub firmware version SG4B10002244 updated 07-Sep-2017.
If any one has any suggestion about settings I'm all ears.
Thanks for that, but I've already tried that. It didn't make any difference.
A further comment is that there are no error codes in the log showing that the DNS was ignored. There are some from my PC though.
Are there any flags to increase the log details, I've not found any.
This is a home hub6.
I'll looking into updating the firmware tomorrow and retry and feed back the results.
Hi The Hub has updated to SG4B1000B316 but not changed the issue.
I have found a work round but setting the IOT to static and the dns server to 188.8.131.52.
Not ideal but any other ideas gratfully accepted. Will look again after the weekend.