cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamiebaruch
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

HH6 wifi connection problems

I have now had 3 HH6 units all with exactly the same problems. The Ethernet connection remains solid but each hub would distribute wifi around my home but most of my devices would either lose connection and fail to reconnect or if it did manage to reconnect would state on Apple products 'no internet connection was available'.

i have finally given up and gone back to my old HH3 with the Open Reach unit.

I will be buying a Netgear router with the compensation I will  get from BT for 6 months of shocking equipment they have been 

continuously providing me with

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: HH6 wifi connection problems

@jamiebaruch wrote:

I will be buying a Netgear router with the compensation I will  get from BT for 6 months of shocking equipment they have been 

continuously providing me with

I wouldn't bank on that!!

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 3 of 8

I think it depends on how much of a fuss you're willing to make. We do have quite strong consumer laws in this country, as well as an Advertising Standards Authority with considerable teeth.

Engaging those consumer protections does involve a bit of personal pain, and if there is some money in your bank account then it may be far less annoying to just buy some 3rd party replacement. But not everyone has that luxury.

If you persevere then UK law is on your side. If BT (or any other company) advertises something which they then do not provide, you can win. It may take a lot of personal stamina though. 😞
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Had a similar issue at my daughter`s house with Apple devices on the HH6. It was fixed by splitting the 2.4 and 5G wireless bands, and only connecting the devices to the 2.4G band.

Splitting the bands adds a "5" to the end of the 5G SSID, so the Apple devices do not attempt to connect to the same SSID on both bands, as this seems to be the cause of the problem.

As mentioned here, except that the renaming is automatic on the HH6.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

jamiebaruch
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Morning Keith

Happy new year and thanks for taking the time to reply. I did try that but found the 5G connected to Apple devices easier.

I'll try splitting my non Apple devices around the home and see how I get on. Wasn't aware the 2.4G were better and maybe gave up a little too easily.

0 Ratings
jamiebaruch
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Hi Keith

Following your advice (and reading about many others in this forum having similar problems) I split the channels and tried to connect my Apple devices only to the 2.4G band. Worked reasonably well for a few days and then back my old problems.

Starts to connect via wifi connect but states no internet connection is available I'm then forced to reboot the router or chose the 5G band.

Surely I can't have a third faulty router!!!

I also use a Netgear ranger extender in use connected to the 2.4 ( and never picks up the 5 G) so this also fails when the 2.4 G fails 

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
trapdoor
Expert
Message 7 of 8

@jamiebaruch wrote:

Surely I can't have a third faulty router!!!

Any suggestions?

Unless you are a very basic user of the SmartHub, then you WILL have a 'faulty' router. Faulty because BT are continually spewing out the firmware update that ultimately breaks the device. Why BT have this deathwish on the SmartHub is anyone's guess, but even though they know the firmware is borked, they still keep,on updating factory fresh and working devices thereby turning them into a useless lump of plastic.

The suggestion is to get a 'proper' router. Lots out there that will work perfectly on BT ADSL and VDSL, some even work with the BT TV Services so there is no excuse to have to keep suffering the ongoing SmartHub nightmare.

It can be a tad unpalatable to have to dump the thing, especially if you have paid out for it or have extended your contract by 12 months believing the BT hype about how good it is. But going for a 3rd party router means you are in charge of your own destiny, you have the choice of if or when you update it, and no longer have to suffer offering a BT WiFi hotspot to all and sundry even though you have opted out. 

Since I installed my TP-Link VR900, it has sat there with the blue LEDs glowing, just getting on with it. No fuss, no tantrums like rebooting in the middle of watching something on BT TV (and then taking almost an hour to come back up again). Devices connect and stay connected. I don't have to constantly log into it to find out why my IP Cameras, or my NEST smoke alarms aren't on line, or why my kitchen LED lighting controllers are no longer accessible on their app.

Internet peace and harmony has descended on my abode since binning the SmartHub. No going back!

jamiebaruch
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I thought as much.

I will try an unused sealed HH5 off eBay & if that doesn't work I'll invest in a decent router and fight BT for compensation so

they can ultimately pay for it.

0 Ratings