cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 41

HOME HUB 5 - SETTING STATIC LAN IP ADDRESS FOR PRINTER

Hi. I'm new to this method of problem solving, so please excuse me if I have missed something somewhere.

I suspect that I could sort my own problem if I could get hold of a proper manual, but apparently there isn't one - or, if there is, I'm considered a bit too simple to use it.

I've just changed over to BT Infinity from another ISP.

I have a home LAN (internal network) that includes 3 hard-wired devices and a number of wireless devices. This network was fine under the previous ISP, using a Netgear router and later a Draytek router. The only 'non-standard' set-up was/is that the printer had a static IP address (internal). We did this because otherwise we found out that some of the devices (mainly laptops) couldn't always find the printer to communicate with it as the address was always changing. A static IP sorted that.

The new Home Hub 5 (HH5 from now on to save typing) has arrived and been 'set up' by the visiting BT engineer. I explained to him the requirement for a static IP for the printer and he said it would be no problem using the BT software download (BT Desktop Help).

There is nothing within the BT Desktop Help that tells you about internal static IPs.

Eventually I fould the way into the software and came across a useful looking page called 'devices'. This (apparently) lists all of the devices currently connected to the HH5. The list included two laptops and two smartphones via wireless. If I moved a laptop from wireless to hard-wired, the device list changed to reflect this.

Despite the printer being hard-wired to the HH5 it did not appear on the device list.

I checked that I could print from each of the laptops, whether hard-wired or wireless. I could.

So: the HH5 device list doesn't show the printer but it is clearly on the network as I can print to it and I can see ink cartridge status, etc.

I telephoned BT's helpline. They told me I shoudl reset the HH5 with a trusty paper-clip. No change. They gave me a telephone number for Tech Support (I can't remember it, but 0800 800 something).

I telephoned Tech Support and explained that I wanted to set up an internal static IP for the printer. They told me that this was an issue with my printer and nothing to do with them. They said that they would try and help me sort out my printer if I paid them £10. Eventually, I pursuaded them that the printer was fine, the printer drivers on my PCs were fine, that I could print (at the moment) and that the problem was to do with the HH5 settings. By eventually, I mean after about 10 minutes of debate. They dialled in and messed around a bit, eventually proving to themseleves that they could dial in to the printer setting page (so they could visit the printer over the network) but they couldn't see it on the device list. They told me:

- to set a static LAN IP, find the device in the device list, click on it and then follow the on-screen instructiions

- as it was not possible to see this device it would not be possible to set a static IP, but that didn't matter as it was highly unlikely that the HH5 would assign the same IP to another device.

I'm not happy. I am worried that I will soon have the same problems that made me opt for a static IP in the first place.

Apparently HH5 allows LAN Static IPs, apparently it's easy to do.

Apparently it's not possible for something to be on the HH5 LAN network but be invisible on the device list.

I telephoned again this morning and was told to talk to BT Business as they know all about this issue. A very nice lady at BT Business told me that she couldn't really help because this was a home issue (which I accept and agree), that she has no training on HH5 in relation to this issue, and that I would need to speak to the Tech Team, who should help me free of charge when they find out it is a problem with their unit not with my gear.

Help!

I don't want to go back to arguing with the Tech Team again.

Can anyone offer any practical advice?

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 41

Re: HOME HUB 5 - SETTING STATIC LAN IP ADDRESS FOR PRINTER

Have you entered a static IP address on the printer itself? If you set the printer to get its IP address automatically from DHCP, does it appear in the Hub interface?

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 41

The HH will only show devices which use DHCP in the list of devices, unless you've set the device to use a static IP in the HH Home Network page.  It's a bit of a silly idea and IMO the software on the router is terrible, but you do it like this...

- Set the printer to use DHCP to get an IP address.

- Log in to the HomeHub 5 and browse to the Home Network page (http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9130)

- Find the printer in the list of devices and click on it.

- Click on 'Yes' next to the "Always use this IP address" option.

- Set the IP address on the printer statically and update your devices to use the new IP address of the printer (if it changed from what it was before).

That will ensure that the DHCP server in the HH5 doesn't lease the same IP to another device.  This will also allow you to see the printer in the list of devices.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 41

You need to set the printer static address to the same subnet used by the HH5.

For example, if the printer static address is now 192.168.0.25 it needs to be changed to 192.168.1 25.

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 41

Sorry, I meant to type 192.168.1.25
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 41

I'm still confused about why you have a problem.

If your printer is still working with the static IP you previously gave it, why is it so important that it shows up in the Hub Manager? That static IP in the printer will not change unless you go in to the settings of the printer and change it, so your worries about it not working in future seem to be needless worries.

I would guess (like others above) that your printers static IP will be 192.168.0.something, meaning the Hub cannot see it as the Hub uses 192.168.1.something.

But like I say, if it's working, what's the problem? Smiley Frustrated

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 41

On my previous network, the IP address for the printer was 192.168.1.200      The printer is still set to this address (which is within the range of addresses apparently used by the HH5) and all of our other devices have their ports set to this address.  At the moment the printer prints, but there is nothing to stop the HH5 allocating the address to something else too.

I have no idea how to set the printer for DHCP

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 41

This sounds to me as if it may be the solution - thank you het-uk. If I understand correctly, there is no way that I can choose a static address within the acceptable address range. (The previous network used 192.168.1.200 , which is in the right range for this HH5). If I do as you say, am I correct in assuming that I need to accept whatever address it comes up with? Or is it possible to change the address at the time I accept it  - otherwise i need to change all of the settings on all of our PCs, etc....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 41

Sorry Avidavsa, I don't understand what you are saying. The current static address from the previous network/router was 192.168.1.200. What are you saying I should change it to?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 41

The Hub starts from .64 in it's allocation table, each subsequent device will then be allocated .65, .66 etc etc....so unless you end up connecting over 100 devices to it, it's unlikely you will encounter a problem having the printer on .200.

As your printer already has a static IP, I wouldn't expect the Hub to attempt to assign one either, as your printer's IP overrides DHCP. When you switch the printer/hub on, there is no DHCP negotiation to be done as it already has the relevant IP address.

Given that it's set to a 1.200 address, it does seem odd that it doesn't appear, but given the circumstances and possibilities of IP allocation, personally I think you're worrying too much about something that will never occur.

That's my two cents anyway Smiley Happy

0 Ratings