cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 41

Re: HOME HUB 5 - SETTING STATIC LAN IP ADDRESS FOR PRINTER

Personally I think it's disgraceful how BT try to fob off HH4 and HH5 connectivity issues as being a problem of the wireless printer when everything worked seamlessly with HH3.  The BT helpline tried to get me to contact HP about my lack of connectivity when I upgraded to a HH4, but why should I when it's the design of the hub that is at fault? 

Virtually everytime I switch the printer on, I either have a hit or miss affair with the WPS button or I have to manually type in the wireless key.  It very rarely connects automatically like it did without a problem to the HH3.  I've read the static IP address recommendations on this and other forums but it seems that I would have to set it up for every wireless device in a household of five people. 

It beggars belief that BT didn't test its latest hubs properly with one of the most popular printer brands in the world (and I gather that it's not just an HP issue).  Why can't BT admit to the problem and issue a patch? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 41

I have never had any issues with HP printers using the hub 4 or 5 and likewise other people with assorted other printers who also have no problems considering the vast number of hub 4/4's issued there are very few posts relating to printing issues there is no need for any patch and external devices are not the responsibility of any ISP

and yes the hub 4 and 5 have been extensively tested both in house and by BT customers during trials and these problems have not turned up
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 23 of 41

I think Kippaxblue has a different problem from me, john46.

I have hard-wired my printer to the HH5.

When everything is turned on for the first time, all of the PCs can see and print to the printer - but it doesn't appear on the device list on the router.

After a period of time or some activity/inactivity (I haven't actually found out whether it is time or something that 'happens'), usually 'the next day', the printer ceases to be available to any of the PCs. It still shows the same address on it's settings page but somehow communincation is lost (it still doesn't appear on the devices list).

I have tried methodically re-setting each device in turn, in lots of different orders. The only thing that appears to work is to re-start the HH5. This then makes the printer visible to/useable by the PCs, but it still doesn't show-up on the HH5.

I'm sure all of the testing has been exhaustive and that problems with my devices on my network are my problem - I get all of that - but I don't understand why, if it seems that the solution to the problem involves re-setting the BT-supplied HH5, this is not some sort of problem/glitch/whatever on the HH5 (or at least on the HH5 that I have been supplied).

Before I switched to infinity, my home network with a Netgear router and latterly with a DrayTek router worked fine. As the only element to be changed is the router, it does suggest to me that this is where the problem lies.

My problem: I'm not an expert. My bigger problem: I can't find anyone in BT (or on this forum) who can actually help me solve the problem. Whether the problem turned up in exhaustive testing or not, it's turned up now and it's affecting me.

I can find plenty of people who tell me it's my problem, not BT's; but that really doesn't help.

At the moment, we have a home network that doesn't work - and the not working started when we joined BT.

I would be grateful for any help that can be provided in actually sorting the problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 41

I have replied to you on your other thread about this. It may be best to stick with the other thread now as hopefully the moderator will become involved

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/LACK-OF-HELP-FROM-BT/m-p/1277323#M89011

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 41

First of all have you set the static IP address physically on the printer itself? Trying to set a static address via the HH5 is not the same thing, all that does is give a particular device the same dynamic address each time. Give the printer these details IP address 192.168.1.200, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway 192.168.1.254. Having done that, do a factory reset of the hub (by pushing a paper clip in the hole) to remove any configuration. See how that goes.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 26 of 41

Licquorice: Thank you for your very helpful suggestion.

Unfortunately, I have tried this too - in fact, this was the first thing that I did before I later tried 'fixing' a dynamic address on the HH5.

When I set the static on the printer and it didn't appear on the device list, I thought perhaps that I had created the problem and that the HH5 needed to be in control of the whole procedure, so I used DHCP - which did actually allow me to see the printer on the device list, so that I could then change it to static in the HH5. When I changed it to static (whether using the same address as DHCP had allocated or going to the '200' that I had used previously), the printer disappeared again from the device list.

In both of the above cases (whether the static was set on the printer or on the HH5), despite not being able to see the printer on the device list I could call it up on the address given (to look at the printer settings pages) and I could print to it from each of the PCs on our network. HOWEVER: after some time (I don't know whether this is a number of hours or until one of the devices goes to 'standby', or what), it is no longer possible to dial up the printer settings page and it is no longer possible to print. The PCs appear to be online; the printer appears to be online, but the printer command page on the PC says it is 'offline' - but can be turned 'online'; but whether the printer settings on the PC are online or offline you cannot print and you can't access the printer settings.

When this happens, I have tried turning off and re-starting the printer, each of the PCs and the HH5. I have tried this in various sequences/orders. The only one that works is re-starting the HH5. (The printer will still be invisible, but it can be accessed and it prints).

I am mindful that the HH5 is not intended to be turned on and off all of the time and also that sooner or later the exchange will think there is a problem on our line if the link keeps on being broken. I don't want that to happen as I am paying a lot of money for the high speed link.

I would really like to sort this problem - which to me appears to be with the HH5, not with any of 'my' equipment. If I can't sort it, I will need to adopt another solution whereby I re-use the old DrayTek ADSL router (which also has a WAN port) and a VDSL modem. I understand that BT have a suitable modem (which used to be supplied with the HH3/4 for Infinity) but they don't appear to want to give me one of those.

But, Licquorice, thank you again for making a very constructive and helpful suggestion. Unfortunately, it doesn't work!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 41

Sorry to be pedantic, but have you performed a full factory reset (not a restart) of the hub after setting the printer manually? Don't worry about not being able to see the printer in the device list, as long as the PCs can see it to print.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 28 of 41

Yes. A paperclip-job. I did a full paperclip re-boot in order to put everything on the network to start with (with the fixed IP on the printer) and again a full paperclip job when I decided to look for it DHCP and then turn it static on the HH5.

Symptoms as before. Everything connected fine, but after some period of time the printer becomes unavailable again without re-starting the HH5.

Thanks again. Very helpful.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 41

I guess the option of buying a VDSL modem on a well known auction site and reverting to the Draytek is looking attractive.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 30 of 41

Licquorice.

Thank you.

Do you know whether it is necessary to do anything to a 'modem from a well known auction site' other than to plug it in to the master socket? Is it necessary to get at any settings within the modem?

I think I can configure the Draytek router to link to it via the WAN, but I was not sure whether anything was necessary to make it recognise the Draytek router.

0 Ratings