Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 41

Re: HOME HUB 5 - SETTING STATIC LAN IP ADDRESS FOR PRINTER

Thank you he-man.

The problem is that we could print to the printer initially, then we couldn't print to it at all and each of the PCs was saying 'printer offline' even though the printer thought it was online. The only way to resolve it was to do a system reset, after which we could print again. I really don't want to do a system reset all of the time.

My understanding of our previous network was that this sort of thing could happen when a printer was not allocated a static address as the PCs would have trouble finding it each time it had a new address, particularly if another device (a PC, phone or whatever) was allocated the address previously used by the printer. I was told that using a static address would solve the issue, hence my desire to fix the address.

On this HH5 router it appears that the only way to fix an address is first to spot the printer on the 'device list', but currently it doesn't show at all - although it must be on the network as we can print to it (or could on Sunday - I haven't tried today).

So - the problem is: I don't want to go around resetting the router every few days; especially I don't expect my wife and kids to need to do this when I'm not at home; I want to do something really simple  - or that would be simple on every other router I have used - and set a static IP address for the printer.

I can't get a manual.

I can't get any meaningful help from BT.

I just want to get it sorted.

I can't believe it should be this difficult.

It is 'broke'. I want to fix it. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 41

If I were you I would buy an Openreach modem of a well know aution site for about £20 and connect up the Draytek router and then see how far you can throw the Homehub 5.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 41

Will look on auction sites for modem and cataput. Could have been so much easier if there was a manual in the first place.

Does it need to be an Openreach modem or will any VDSL modem do?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 41

yes it has to be the Openreach modem
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 41

I was just saying that if your old IP address was on subnet 192.168.0.0 you should change it to 192.168.1.0

If your current address is 192.168.1.200 you are on the correct subnet and you don't need to change it, as the default subnet for the HH5 is 192.168.1.0

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 41

Any VDSL2 modem will be fine.

Highlighted
Message 17 of 41

I have exactly the same problem but with all my fixed devices, PC's repeater hubs, android TV and TV's etc. Some, like my printer allow me to fix the IP, once I do that they work fine. Spent 1 hr on the phone with support who failed to help, told me to pay for tech help and then wait 4 days as its still new!

I pointed out the hub told my my ipod was plugged in to lan port 2 but that didnt seem to register as odd with them.

What I have done which worked for me was

1) Full reset, then turn off

2) Turn off all wi-fi devices etc and connected main PC I want as 192.168.1.64

3) Turn on HH

4) Allow device to be spotted, then fix IP.

5) Connected 2nd PC via 1st lan port, hub didnt spot it,  but I could fix the IP as it's a PC.

6) Connected each device I want a fixed address, most apeared as they should, some take a few mins.

7) Once all connected I switched my dynamic IP range to 100 - 254 from 64 - 254, as I wanted all dynamic in a separate range.

Now all works but my lower numberd devices have vanished, it looks like when a device is outside the dynamic range it doesnt show.

There appears to be another odd feature that prevents me fixing an IP outside the range of the dynamic range which doesnt make any sense, hence why I re-set, attached in sequence, set as fixed , then altered dynamic range.

Hope this might help

Good luck, i think the router is ok, firmware is shocking

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 41

Thank you Rufuscat.

This seems to be the most comprehensive answer.

One question: In your set-up process where you started with a single device and then set the IP to static: was it necessary to allow the router to chose a dynamic address and then for you to set that address to static OR once the router has established a dynamic address and you go into the 'static' routine can you then choose the static address (within the acceptable dynamic range)?

Thanks again.

I'm still amazed that the only way to obtain information on how to set up this router is via a forum - what's wrong with manuals?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 19 of 41

Hi RufusCat

I think the problem is a bit more 'involved' than you found.

I have essentially gone through the procedure that you said.

My printer appeared for the first time and I changed the address from dynamic to static - keeping the dynamic address that it had been given (67 in this case).

As soon as I re-booted the printer (which is the last step that the HH asks you to do when you change an address from dynamic to static), and refresh, the printer vanishes again from the device list.

HOWEVER: I can still print to it AND I can still call up the settings for the printer using the LAN address ending in 67.

This is just plain weird.

I'm going to leave it for a few days and see whether the printer remains 'online' - unless anyone has some better suggestions.

(In the mean time rang BT again, who were most unhelpful and convinced that this was my problem. They told me that I could not set a static LAN IP address unless I was a business customer  - you can, because I did it first with my PC to prove it - they then told me it was my printer that was at fault. The also repeatedly told me that their contract with me is only for the provision of the connection - but then said I could not use any other router as that would invalidate their requirement to provide infinity-speed services. I don't think I have ever met a more unhelpful bunch. But there was a small glimmer of light because the man that kept saying no eventually got bored  - after an hour - and handed me over to someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about. Apparently they have had this problem before and he is going to escalate it with the firmware providers. It will probably come to nothing, but at least he tried).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 20 of 41

Today's news:

Last night all of our PCs could print to the printer, even though it didn't show on the hub device list.

This morning the printer remains invisible and cannot be accessed by any of the PCs.

No clues on the hub. Nothing.

Depressing

0 Ratings