cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jammy84
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

HOT VP = HOT VIRTUAL PATH = ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE OF A FAULT

Hey guys for my first post Im going to tell you about my nightmare Ive been having for quite a long time now with my Broadband connection

My Line rate is meant to be 8000k because I am very close to the exchange

In June 2010 I started noticing speed drops at peak times, I reported a fault, they sent an engineer out he couldnt find anything, I phoned them about 10-15 times, they insisted theres nothing that they could do. I gave up, and didnt bother phoning back in because I was getting around 2MB at peak times and 5MB off peak and I could live with this, just about.The exchange was due for an upgrade to ADSL2 in November so no point in pursuing further.

However, over the last 6 months, My broadband has been slowing and slowing and slowing down to an almost complete halt. I am now unable to play online games at peak times, I cannot watch Youtube or BBC I Player. My throughput has been between 300k-600k between 6.30pm and 12am. Sometimes It is impossible to do anything and its very frustrating. Mysteriously in September, the date of upgrade changed from November to April next year for ADSL2. My neighbour accross the road gets a stable 7MB all day long.

This prompted me to try again by starting a new fault, on the 26th of October. After around 5 phone calls, they sent an engineer out to my house, he ran some tests, told me he couldnt do anything. After around 30-40 phone calls, this repeated several times, until I got what I think was my 7th - YES 7TH!! engineer out, who told me I had a HOT VP and my equipment at the exchange needed an upgrade to allow more capacity for bandwidth. I said great finally we have got to the bottom of it, I cant wait to fix it now. So I phoned up technical help again, So they sent me another engineer, and another, and another. Each time they sent me an engineer, They couldnt do anything, They were not the right type of engineer to fix MY problem - HOT VP.

So after 10 engineer visits - yes 10!! I was not about to give up now. Even though quite laughably they sent me 1 engineer who did not even have a broadband fault diagnostic machine, instead they gave him an ancient ADSL speedtouch modem to test bb connections with!! and was complaining that his manager told him 'you dont need broadband fault training - just go out there and fix them' I did not know what else to do though, because the technical help centre in India was becoming a headache, I must have made about 40-50 phone calls in total to them over the last few months.  It really does seem as if its a complete dead end this whole thing.

But then I heard about bt.com/contact - now I didnt even know these guys existed until now - how many BT Broadband customers are out there who have made hundreds of phone calls to BT - or left BT because they are so fed up with the service they are recieving from India. Language barrier is one thing but the incompetence of the staff on the normal technical help line is simply something else - they have no idea what a HOT VP is. One woman in India told me 'your broadband equipment at the exchange has overheated and it needs to be cooled down' - I swear that is actually what she said!!!

Frankly I didnt care though, because now I had found a way of MAYBE getting something done about this nasty attrocious unbelievable nightmare of a fault. OK so I go onto bt.com/contact, tell them my frustrations and the fault etc. eventually they, the friendly helpful (perfect english speaking) Northern Ireland Tech help get back to me after contacting BT wholesale - 'BT wholesale have told us that there is nothing they can do to fix this just now - the earliest they can send an engineer to fix this will be April 2011'

Absolutely not acceptable - I told them I am not accepting this - and to go back to wholesale and keep trying - they were complaining about the language barrier - wholesale are impossible to work with. This might be why some customers complain of the 'BT Shunt' now I know exactly what this is. The advisor although sympathetic simply did not have anything to say to me other than 'BT wholesale do not understand - and are refusing to send an engineer out' - Id say this is probably true!

I am waiting for an answer on what the next step is going to be - I am not giving up now - I hate my broadband connection the way it is - unuseable

I wonder how much BT has spent trying to resolve my fault - thousands maybe - all those engineers and phone calls...

I will put further posts about what happens next...

Can anyone answer these questions for me, I couldnt get an answer over the phone:-

1) will completely disconnecting my line and reconnecting it back up resolve the problem?

I have been told that it is only my equipment that is effected so restarting may put me on another Stack

and this is true because my neighbours is perfect

2) will the ADSL2 upgrade in feb 2011 reolve the problem?

3) why would a package that costs £24.99 a month not have priority on the traffic at the exchange - whereas if you pay this kind of money with other companies eg plusnet - you get priority bandwidth.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
groovesection
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: HOT VP = HOT VIRTUAL PATH = ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE OF A FAULT

1. NO. If you have a sh*t line then you are stuck with it. disconnecting/re-connecting will still have you on the same physical copper phoneline. It makes no difference how you are plugged into the exchange,

If your phoneline is susceptible to noise and re-syncs then your IP profile will of course drop.

you could be on a 50Gigabit pipe but if your line is susceptible to high noise an constant re-syncs then you will never get decent speeds!!!

2. No if your line is **bleep** then any upgrade to the exchange will make no differnece (see above^^)

3.Only LLU ISP`s can control bandwith on the exchange,

Even LLU iSP`s use contention to manage network traffic to dissapate the bandwith evenly

No one gets priorityregardless of how much you pay!  (on home broadband anyway)

( BT Vision customers on BT Broadband get priority, and heavy p2p users get shaped) although no-one will admit this!

IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 14

@jammy84 wrote:

1) will completely disconnecting my line and reconnecting it back up resolve the problem?

If your problem is VP congestion, no.  You're effectively hard-wired to a DSLAM/MSAN port in the local exchange, which is mapped to a particular VP on the backhaul.  Any amount of dis/re-connecting might give you a new IP address, but you'll still be on the same VP.

I have been told that it is only my equipment that is effected so restarting may put me on another Stack

and this is true because my neighbours is perfect

Not true. Most likely your neighbour is on a different VP - one that isn't congested to the same degree as yours (they're all "congested" to a certain extent)

2) will the ADSL2 upgrade in feb 2011 reolve the problem?

Possibly.  ADSL2+ works over BTs 21CN, which uses IP backhauls into BTs network rather than the ATM links that "up to 8Mbps" DSLMax uses, so you'll definitely be on a different part of the backhaul. Whether it's any less congested than the one you're currently on...

3) why would a package that costs £24.99 a month not have priority on the traffic at the exchange - whereas if you pay this kind of money with other companies eg plusnet - you get priority bandwidth.

You may get prioritised traffic on their network - but not on BTs.

The only way to get that kind of prioritsation is to use a different DSL product to the one that most ISPs sell to residential customers.  BT used to call it DSLMax Premium or some such, but the ISPs that resell it will call it something else. It also comes with (I think) an ~800Kbps upload speed

0 Ratings
blooty
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

It would be useful to know which exchange you are on so someone might be able to help... (apologies if you said in your OP but there's a lot of text 😉 )

If i've given you a helpful answer please rate me by clicking the rating star to the left 😄
BT Total Broadband Option 4 - London - Pimlico Exchange
0 Ratings
jammy84
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Ibrox exchange
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Hi this may help no known hot vp's

Exchange Status Checker

Results: Ibrox
Code:WSIBR
County:Strathclyde
Enabled:17 Nov 1999
Market:3
greenVirtual paths: Green

There are currently no known capacity problems on your exchange. There may still be an exchange problem, however BT are not currently reporting that they are aware of it. Please contact Support if you are having speed problems, who can advise further.

Record last updated: 24 Dec 10

Historical information for this exchange:

StatusDate
green17 Dec 10 
green10 Dec 10 
green03 Dec 10 
green26 Nov 10 
green19 Nov 10 

Please note: This checker is not a generic fault tracker. It is updated weekly when updates are available and reflects a snapshot of speed capacity from each exchange. Results shown here should not lead you to conclusive proof of an issue.

Return to exchange detail

0 Ratings
jammy84
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Its been checked and confirmed many many times by several advisors now. Like i said i have made around 40-50 calls and had 10 engineers, Its definetly a hot vp issue. I was just playing call of duty just now. Had yellow bars but then dropped to red and it was impossible to play. The lag was immense. Had to switch it off. Happens every night i cant get a decent game apart from in the morning when im at work. Ridiculous.
0 Ratings
jammy84
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

FINAL RESOLUTION FROM BT:

Got a call today from the northern ireland helpdesk again. They have escalated this to a high level complaint with Wholesale. They have said there is a date already planned, the 24th of April?? for an upgrade of ADSL at my exchange, and the upgrade to ADSL has now been delayed and is now in July!! They are not willing to do ANYTHING, ZILCH, ZERO, NOTHING for me!!

The dates have not even been implemented because of my complaint, the dates are already planned by wholesale. In other words, my 50 phone calls and 10 engineer visits have been a complete waste of time for me and a complete waste of money by BT, AND they have meant nothing, absolutely nothing!!

I am absolutely gutted, does anyone know how it feels to have the worst broadband connection in the world, almost as bad as dial up, and know that there is literally nothing you can do about it??

For me to go this far, and take 3 months of my time complaining, this must tell you HOW bad my connection actually is....that website that says I have no HOT VP issues is completely wrong.

Why are BT spending money on certain exchanges boosting them up to FTTC and FTTP when they cant even get exchanges like mine, which serves a large number of people, a stable high speed connection? Instead they gave us a pathetic close to dial up internet connection > no wonder that engineer brought out a Speedtouch ADSL USB Modem with him!!

0 Ratings
jammy84
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Speed now dropping to 250-300k at peak times this is beyond a joke now....

That website still says that BT has reported no known faults for HOT VP at the exchange what a load of rubbish!!

Any advice anyone? I am losing the will to live here. Im lucky to even get this forum loaded with all those avatars beside your names.....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

The site is only as accurate as ther data BT supply as it says on the site
0 Ratings