cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Parys-jones
Message 1 of 7

HP wireless printer

Go to solution

Just had BT install Infinity fibre broadband with BTHub4. Now I cannot print wirelessly from my Compaq Presario CQ61 laptop to my HP7500A E910 wireless printer. I have used the printer set up and the printer report is telling me there are no problems found and that I have successfully setup of my wireless printer. My laptop shows the installed printer in devices, but when I enter the BTHub4 from its IP address I can see all my wireless devices ie laptops anf mobile devices in my network but not the HP7500A E910. BT phone support have had me switching off and unplugging all devices and a final factory reset on the HUb that left me with no Network or devices. Sorted out the latter, but despite BT help BT diagnostic tools and HP diagnostic tools, I still have this Network wirelessw printer device problem. Must say considering this is a problem since installation (about a week ago) I am not impressed with BT's customer support as they appear to have given up and suggest I use the Forum or pay for phone support. ANYONE OUT THERE GOT A SOLUTION?? I am close to cancelling the order under the Sale of goods act for supplying product not fit for purpose.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: HP wireless printer

Go to solution

You say you can see all your devices ie laptops on the network, is it only your Compaq that can not print or do your other laptops not print?

When you connected the printer to the homehub via the wireless configuration on the printer did you use the wireless passkey found on the homehub label.

Have you tried to connect the printer by Ethernet cable to see if it can be seen on the network.

As regards BT support, they are there to help you with your broadband which is what BT supply and which would appear to be working. They can not be expected to know how to connect every peripheral device such as printers so I don't think the Sale of Goods Act would apply as that is not the service they have supplied to you.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

As the printer appears in your laptop devices, you've obviously completed step 1 in the following procedure, but have you double-checked the rest?

Capture.JPG

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Parys-jones
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

A Eureka moment - Discovered that my printers IP address does not fall into the IP range of this new BTHub4 . Simple job to change the Printer IP address and problem solved. However, I bet this problem rears its ugly head from many poor unsuspecting new BT broadband customers, so I hope BT suggest the IP change to help them out, or that they read this Forum. To all those users out there that offered suggestions of help, I say thank you.

0 Ratings
mdrandall
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

I have a similar problem with an HP 8600 printer. It worked seamlessly with a HH3 and also an old D-Link router. But our new HH5 drops the connection.

The printer has a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.20 and initially connects correctly to the router. This can be verified on both the printer front panel and by accessing the HH5 home page at 192.168.1.254.

Everything works great for a while including iPad Airprint and accessing the printer web page via a PC.

Then the printer disappears from the network and cannot be accessed from any device. The printer front panel still states it is connected to the HH5 but cannot be found using Airprint or Windows print functions. The printer web page cannot be accessed nor does it show up in the HH5 list (I understand this can happen with devices given a static IP address but it shows up initially).

HP support have said they have had quite a number of customers with problems related to the HH5 and suggested the usual fixes of different names for the SSIDs, disabling 5GHz completely, changing to WAP security, disabling wireless n protocol. I have tried all of these and it still doesn't work. The only fix is to power off and on the printer or reset the router.

It is obvisouly a problem with HH5 as I can just replace with our old HH3 (or other router) and it works great.

0 Ratings
loz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@mdrandall wrote:

I have a similar problem with an HP 8600 printer. It worked seamlessly with a HH3 and also an old D-Link router. But our new HH5 drops the connection.

The printer has a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.20 and initially connects correctly to the router. This can be verified on both the printer front panel and by accessing the HH5 home page at 192.168.1.254.

Everything works great for a while including iPad Airprint and accessing the printer web page via a PC.

Then the printer disappears from the network and cannot be accessed from any device. The printer front panel still states it is connected to the HH5 but cannot be found using Airprint or Windows print functions. The printer web page cannot be accessed nor does it show up in the HH5 list (I understand this can happen with devices given a static IP address but it shows up initially).

HP support have said they have had quite a number of customers with problems related to the HH5 and suggested the usual fixes of different names for the SSIDs, disabling 5GHz completely, changing to WAP security, disabling wireless n protocol. I have tried all of these and it still doesn't work. The only fix is to power off and on the printer or reset the router.

It is obvisouly a problem with HH5 as I can just replace with our old HH3 (or other router) and it works great.

I am having the exact same issue but with a HH3.

If I reboot the HH3 then the connection to the HP Printer is reestablished.

But as soon as something goes to sleep the connection is lost.

The printer shows it is connected to the wireless. The printer never has any problems finding the wireless network and connecting, and is always given the same IP address (I have tried setting up a static one too).

But it doesn't seem to work the other way around. As far as the HH3 is concerned it is offline.

But then if I restart the HH3 it works OK, until the next time the printer goes into standby.

0 Ratings